Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Removing Pressfit BMX Bearings – Any tips?
  • BillOddie

My wife has acquired a cheap second hand BMX for my youngest son. (I didn’t get a chance to inspect before she bought it, it just sort of appeared…)

It’s not a bad bike but the BB bearngs were completely shot.

Took the 3 piece cranks off and as expected there are bearings pressed directly pressed into the frame.

Even with some fairly heavy duty whacking with a hammer and bit of bar from the other side I haven’t been able to get them to shift one iota.
    Tried liberal application of GT85 and pouring boiling water on the frame, neither seemed to make any difference…

Any tips?
    Plusgas?

logan1989
    Free Member

Lie the frame down on two pieces of 4X4 with the bottom bracket in between them and then try to get a bar on the outside edge of the bearing and give it a few taps, then repeat but on the opposite edge. This should free it enough, then just repeat till it’s out. Don’t hit the inside bearing case as you will be left with the outer cases till stuck in the BB.

BillOddie

I’ll give that a go.

There is a spacer between the bearings which makes life more complicated.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stevet1
    Free Member

Have you moved the spacer out of the way to get at the bearing?

logan1989
    Free Member

Just push the spacer out of the way. You should be able to get it out then.

BillOddie

Spacer doesn’t stop me tapping the bearing it just makes life slightly trickier.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Removing Pressfit BMX Bearings – Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.