Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Removing pins from maverick sc32 quick release bits.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Need to replace parts of the maverick sc32 quick release. The bits which are pinned together with what I assume are pressfit pins.

For the lack of any instructions in the manual I went with a pin punch and gave it a royal twatting while supporting the assembly on a block of wood. Nothing moved.

Anyone done it – I’m not sure I want to hit it much harder without checking that is indeed how it comes out.

Any ideas ?

otsdr
    Free Member

Pin should push out, according to this post on mtbr.

I assume you are referring to the part that hinges on the fork leg; the actual QR handle seems to be affixed to that with two non-removable pins.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

In my experience they DO NOT come out easily, I have damaged one fork leg beyond repair when I resorted to an hydraulic press after failing with drifts and a hammer!
    I think you can buy a replacement part from Atkins cycles, it’s £80 but comes with an upgraded (stainless) threaded part not the alloy that had broken in that last picture.
    Yes just checked Atkins and you can buy all individual bits and the whole unit is £80.

otsdr
    Free Member

You could make two saw cuts through the middle, then remove the middle portion and the hinging bits; the two leftover pin fragments should push out easier than the entire pin.

Scratch that, not through the middle, on the sides :). Once the sides are thin enough the pin should be easier to push out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Baws. I have said stainless bit as mines split.

I. May resort to hear and the hydraulic press later but that will be last resort. My next though is….if total **** to get out ….getting in might be a total ****. Drilling it out on the press and replacing with a nutted bolt might be a solution.

May have to think.

Not spending 80 quid on the qr assembly I’ll buy rigids before I do that.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Trail rat just edited my post, all bits available separately, your broken part is £16 and stainless now.
    I’d try heating up unit because the alloy part will expand quicker than the steel pin, that’s how they may have got their interference fit with the pin?
    I could sell you my spare leg/qr if you’re interested?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Might be a shout mtbmaff . Hold that thought I’ll have a shot at trying mine tomorrow we have the ability to apply a decent amount of heat and 20ton if force (not that I’m going to go that mental)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well i got it out for anyone who finds this in future.

Support the fork legs with a block of wood and remove the qr clamp pin. It’s much easier to remove. A light tap with a pin punch got it out.

Then I clamped the qr in a vice and gave it light heat with the mapp torch …..then hit it with shock.and unlock spray.

It then tapped out with the pin punch also

New one practically pressed in by hand with only a light tap needed at the end.

Got it all back together

Then noticed the other side lower leg casting where the qr pin goes through was starting to crack on one side at one end …..dammit. mtbmaff you have mail.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Removing pins from maverick sc32 quick release bits.’ is closed to new replies.