Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Removing old latex from tyres
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

Anyone got an easy way to remove dried latex from inside a tyre so I can pop in a tube.
    I know…..retro or what ?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A wad of cotton wool so any thorns are obvious by the threads caught on them.

BoardinBob

remove dried latex from inside a tyre so I can pop in a tube

Why? I’ve never bothered and never had a problem

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it’s dried, I’ll use scotchbrite to sand off the worst of it.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

One of those sponges with a plastic scouring pad and some hot soapy water works for me. Rinse out after and let dry

singlespeedstu

I’m in the why bother camp.

benpinnick

Also why bother, but if you must one of those big rectangle green scouring pads will do it in no time.

Northwind

I just use my thumb, it peels off nicely if you rub it. quicker than scotchbrite ime. Just don’t overdo it or you’ll blister up.

(I don’t have any good reason, I just like doing it. Probably saves entire grams.)

TheSlider
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Some good tips there.
    I may be in the minority but I think riding with a pump and spare tube is a good idea. It seems crazy doesn’t it ? I could go tubeless and NOT ride with a pump and a tube – oh hang on ! You STILL have to…..so it’s tubes for me.

BoardinBob

Going tubeless has got nothing to do with not having to carry a tube or pump 😕

Northwind

I could go tubeless but I’d still have to carry haribos and something to drink, it seems crazy doesn’t it?

breadcrumb

^This.

johnny5
    Free Member

Orange solvent works well

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never bother, tubes come out only in emergencies when nothing else works. Tubeless means it happens very infrequently but I still wear shorts. Just crazy.

maccruiskeen

Never used latex with tyres – but in other applications rather than scrubbing it off I’ve found sticking gaffa tape to it and pulling it off again peals it off very effectively.

aracer
    Free Member

I still carry a tube and pump. It seems crazy doesn’t it, when I so rarely need them compared to when I used tubes?

I’m with Northwind – a thumb works well, and whilst I accept I don’t need to bother I’m also sufficiently obsessive.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Sorry, didn’t mean to upset people, it’s just the people I know who have gone tubeless all have had bad experiences of some kind, so having worked out the cost of replacing my tyres, then the latex etc.. I’ll stick to the lighter option and keep buying tubes. Met loads of riders who wouldn’t go back to tubes but each to his own I guess !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Removing old latex from tyres’ is closed to new replies.