Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Removing main swingarm bearing from Saracen Ariel
  • tomhughes46

Help!

Got some play in the main bearing of my Ariel (to be fair, they’ve out lasted about 5 sets of Norglide bushes…).

Problem is, the axle just spins. Anyone confirm that 1. It’s NOT a left handed thread? 2. That there isn’t a knack to it like taking out the little conical shim thingy.3. That is is actually possible.

Pics below – one side has a 6mm hex hole in it, the other seems to just be a circular hole.

This just seems yet another complication in the world’s most badly designed frame 🙁

Round hole

Hex hole

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I can’t answer either 1 or 2 I’m afraid, but the axles for the bushings on my Kili Flyer were completely seized up and the bolts stripped in the end.

The LBS sent it back to Sportline who promptly returned it with new bushings fitted… so that might be an option if you don’t get anywhere?

tomhughes46

I’ve admitted defeat and put it into the shop. We shall see…

tomhughes46

Update for anyone searching for this issue, definitely a warranty job, unless like me you’re the second owner in which case it’s probably beyond economic repair 🙁

joebristol

What’s broken then to make it beyond economic repair?

RicB

Can’t you just Dremel a slot in the ‘hole’ end of the axle to get some purchase with a big screwdriver?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can you use an easy out. It’s a tapered come thing with a twist so it bites in as you turn it anti clockwise

daver27
    Free Member

its not a left hand thread. sounds like the bit you refer to as a conical shim has come loose from the carbon, its meant to be fixed as it is the nut for the axle effectively.

tomhughes46

Yup.bonded in threaded cup but is no longer bonded meaning new rear triangle is needed. Possible repair option but I’m not optimistic…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Removing main swingarm bearing from Saracen Ariel’ is closed to new replies.