Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Removing frame protector glue
  • woodster

I bought a frame with a slightly manky looking clear downtube protector on, so I removed it only to find the world’s toughest glue residue. I’ve tried all sorts and it still won’t shift. Crap is just constantly getting stuck there now.

Please help.

Bregante

Bregante

Have you tried Goo Gone?

I’ve just removed some frame protector and some old scraped decals and it did the job for me.

mintimperial

IPA usually does the trick. (Isopropyl Alcohol, not India Pale Ale, obvs.)

bbb
    Free Member

IPA (Iso-propyl alcohol) also more correctly known as Propan-2-ol will most probably shift it. It is also the recommended solvent for cleaning rotors and also suspension internal components, so is very useful all round. You can buy it at Maplins.

woodster

Looks like I’d have to order some for delivery which is frustrating, but it sounds good. Thanks.

I should point out that this is much worse than any residue I’ve encounteres previously.

woodster

IPA doesn’t even begin to work,even with copious brushing in and scraping.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Zippo lighter fluid should shift it.

vincienup
    Free Member

If IPA won’t touch it I’m not sure petrol will but it’s worth a go. I’m assuming you’ve tried warming it with a hairdryer already?

Last ditch in solvent land would probably be trike (1.1.1 trichloroethelene) but that’s nasty stuff and pretty hard to find now.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Looks like I’d have to order some for delivery which is frustrating, but it sounds good. Thanks.

IPA doesn’t even begin to work,even with copious brushing in and scraping.

That was a quick delivery.

Have you tried heating the glue with a hairdryer first?

Bregante

Whereabouts are you o.p? The bottle I’ve got will last me an age so if you’re any where near Manchester you’re welcome to use some of mine.

tillydog
    Free Member

Have you tried Goo Gone?

^ that.

(Or whatever label remover is in your local office supplies / art shop).

IPA doesn’t dissolve many things. Acetone (nail varnish remover) does, but also affects plastics and paint. Good old meths can be pretty good, too, with little chance of it causing any damage.

woodster

All sorted now. Razor blade to slowly scrape most of it away, acetone to finish and then a quick polish and wax.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Removing frame protector glue’ is closed to new replies.