Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Removing ESI grips
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

I usually remove ESI grips by cutting them off as they’re normally only being changed because they’ve torn or had big chunks taken out of them from crashes. However last time I fitted some of the extra chunky versions (with the usual sweating and swearing that it entails), however I find them a bit too big for my delicate little hands and want to go back the normal chunkys. Seems a shame to destroy them getting them off, any ideas for removing them without the need for Herculean strength?

johnnystorm

Poke a zip tie under the end, spray in some windowless and push the ziptie through to break the seal and try and Wiggle it around the bars. Stick the new esi on with windowlene too.

scotroutes

Squirt some WD40/GT85 underneath at a few points using the wee hose attachment, then pull them off towards you with the bars against your stomach.

mttm
    Free Member

Best way is to use an air compressor – they pretty much just float on and off then. The other method is isopropyl alcohol and a spoke down the inside of the grip. But this just scratches your bars and you will probably poke the spoke through the grip.

somafunk

I use alcohol antibacterial hand gel, the stuff thats used without water as it evaporates and you only need to squirt a wee bit under both ends of the grip and then wiggle/turn them till they come off, works to refit them as well.

cp

I use car screen wash for both getting on and off, works great. As mentioned above, just lift the end and squirt it in… keep pushing whatever you’re using to lift the grip further in with a bit more quirt and rotate/tease the grip off. Comes off pretty easy

mattyfez

I don’t know if wd40 would be of any use, but the bigger cans come with a thin hard plastic straw on the nozzle.. Which could possibly be used to slide down inbetween the bars and grips.?

Work the straw in, tiny squirt, twist, pull, repeat.

Gee76
    Free Member

I use a bamboo kebab stick to try and wiggle em loose (saves damaging me carbon bars with a spoke!). Bit of hairspray can help lube it all loose too. Never liked the idea of using oil as can help think it’ll make things a bit too slippery on re-assembly.

monkeyboyjc

Gt85 or wd40 to get them off with the little red tube……
    &
    Some alcohol based hand gel/sanitiser to get them on – takes about 10mins for it to evaporate but gives you lots of time to get them in the right position.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Alcohol hand gel and a spoke worked wonders for me last week although as mttm said I ended up poking the spoke through the grips (can’t find the hole now) and slightly scratching the bars. I’ll try the zip tie method next time. Patience is a virtue though…it takes a little patience & perseverance to work the gel under the whole grip but it works well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Removing ESI grips’ is closed to new replies.