Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Removing end caps from Hope Pro II…….vice and pull?
  • SiB
    Free Member

Not sure if ‘end cap’ is correct name or description for the subject of this post so apologies in advance.

I need to remove freehub from proII, so far the lockring and cassette are off and now I need to remove the ‘end caps’ from each end. Hub is a few years old unserviced so I expect that partsd are a tad seized, is it just a case of clamping end caps in vice and pulling them off?

Thanks in advance

jeff

Lever off with a flat screwdriver IIRC – only held on by an o-ring I think.

4ags4
    Free Member

Sharp pull with a set of needle nose pliers

nwgiles

jeff – Member
    Lever off with a flat screwdriver IIRC – only held on by an o-ring I think.

correct only an o ring, just pull

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks, I always like a good pull in the evening

superfli
    Free Member

Stick a large allen key though the axle to the edge of the cap. Give it a few taps.

creamegg
    Free Member

Vice is easiest if you’ve got one to hand. Sometimes the end caps pop off easily, other times not so easy and requires some swearing 😉

SiB
    Free Member

Vice, flat screwdriver, allen key and needle nose pliers at the ready.

Thanks again

Northwind

Twist it first! They can be very hard work despite just being an o-ring but a wee rotation can break them loose. (I’ve had one that was held in so hard that the end cap came apart rather than come out)

freeridenick
    Free Member

mole grips with some cloth to protect..

z1ppy

flat of screw driver if they’re gunna give in easily, otherwise molegrips and wiggle like mad.

dannyh
    Free Member

If all else fails you can go with levering off the freehub / cassette the whole shooting match by wrapping a chisel in tape and pushing against the base of a spoke, but I would only use this method in extremis!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

If I remember rightly, they come off easier if you push them in then out…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Removing end caps from Hope Pro II…….vice and pull?’ is closed to new replies.