Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • removing disk bolts
  • oblique
    Free Member

i was tightening up a rotor bolt and as it was getting tight the t25 bit chattered. This mashed up the bead of the bolt meaning i have not been able to remove it. I am not to worried as it is in and tight but if i need to change disks i am stuck.

What methods have people used in cases like this that have worked?

Should an easy-out do the trick?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i'd just drill the head off carefully

leffeboy

i'd just drill the head off carefully

+1

Use a big drill bit to take only the head off. Then when the disk is off you can use pliers to unscrew the thread

…or just use a big rock of course, it appears to be traditional

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver.

Use drill it like above.

Or use an easy out.

jahwomble
    Free Member

If the bolt head is big enough, use a small pair of end cutters, get one blade edge on the inside edge of the drive hole and one on the outer edge of the bolt. Use the cutters gripped tightly to turn the bolt. Once loose enough, just use the bit to get it the rest of the way. It's worked for me often enough anyway.

the-muffin-man

I've managed to get Mole grips to tighten onto the outside of the bolt before and undo them with those.

glenh
    Free Member

Since rotor bolts sit proud, hacksaw slot + screwdriver. Takes 30s.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You may find that as it went wrong tightening up, the undoing faces of the bolt may still be ok. Personally i'd rather try and get it off now, rather than wait for it to get heated up and seize in there.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

I've had this problem before. Took the wheel out, clamped the offending bolt tight in a vice (easy to do as it sticks out) and then just turn the wheel… easy.

Good luck.

Shorty121
    Free Member

You could super glue a long rod to it or weld something onto it

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hacksaw+adj spanner.

Heat doesn't make stuff seize.

Northwind

Yup, cut a slot in the top first… Cut square faces onto it if that doesn't work but you'll probably scar the rotor doing that. And get in there with the proper penetrating oil just to make things easier.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I vented my frustration with an angle grinder and ground the head of the darn thing.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

file and mole grips

bigyinn
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Heat doesn't make stuff seize.

Agreed, on its own it wont, but it wont help the situation will it?
    Heating up and cooling down in cycles (i.e. when you brake) can cause the bolt to get stuck in there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will it or won't it? Which? And how?

Tracey

Removed quite a few by angle grinding a big slot in the top and then using a big screwdriver to move it. Its worked every time and is a quick and easy way to do it

Tracey

ziggy
    Free Member

First method to try is to hammer the head firmly flat again, then tap the torx key back in, works 90% of the time.

If not then remove the other five bolts then turn grab the disc rotor and turn it anti clockwise whilst applying a bit of upwards force, not too much as you don't want to bend the rotor.

Last resort for me is usually the hacksaw and screwdriver method, which is a PITA

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘removing disk bolts’ is closed to new replies.