Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Removing decals…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I don’t have a hair dryer but I do have a heat gun.

I’m trying to remove decals from a set of forks.

Will I die? Obviously I’ll keep it on low and at a good distance…

d3carbon
    Free Member

Pressure washer.

kayak23

You will die but it’s unlikely to be related to fork sticker removal.

Warm them don’t melt them. Nail polish remover or white spirit for any left over adhesive.

Crack on.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

I assume you have finger nails and a colourful repertoire of expletives and several hours to spare? If so crack on 8)

faustus

Fork decals should be fairly easy with a fingernail or plastic ruler to lift edges then peel, then clean residue with white spirit or nail polish remover. All assuming they’re suspension forks as most seem to have normal stickers. If it is on road forks and lacquered over, then it’s easier to cover than remove.

nickhit3
    Free Member

yeah, mine (Marz 888) came off with a bit of picking. took 10 minutes.

vincienup
    Free Member

Cool, cheers guys!

I know warming is generally recommended but just wondered if heat gun might be excessive! 😆

faustus

Yes, no need for heat gun! Hair dryer warms the glue enough 🙂

daern
    Free Member

Removed garish stickers from my carbon wheel rims using a plastic scraper and a big pot of IPA. Nearly killed me and took hours…!

(Didn’t want to use acetate or anything more aggressive as I had visions of the rims dissolving as I did it)

kayak23

just wondered if a heat gun might be excessive!

A heat gun creates heat. How much you apply is up to you and your level of control innit. 🙂

Much easier to warm the adhesive imho, unless the decals are brand spanking where they usually come off no bother.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

big pot of IPA

Nothing like bike fettling with a good helping of beer 😉

daern
    Free Member

Nothing like bike fettling with a good helping of beer

I’m sure there are circumstances where having a spray bottle full of ale would come in very handy indeed, but sadly, in this case I was forced to use the /other/ IPA… Seems like a wasted opportunity, now you mention it…

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Maybe try hot / boiling water from a jug as opposed to heat gun.

Did it once on a garish car sticker and it worked a treat, also had some good success removing stick residue with neat Mr Sheen, babywipes and unleaded petrol was a suggestion I never tried.

Hope that helps and good luck!

James

Andy-R

I always use Ronsonol lighter fluid for removing any glue residue. It’s handy stuff to have around anyway.

handyman153
    Free Member

I spend most my days trying to get asset tags off items.. Best product yet, normal furniture polish..

Has to be Mr Sheen, Pledge doesn’t work in the same way.

Spray loads on so it coats in the white foamy stuff. Wait 10 minutes and it will come off like a charm.

vincienup
    Free Member

Okay, so I had started from an assumption that heat was needed as everyone always says to use it when removing decals. I don’t possess a hairdryer but do own a heatgun but worried I might apply too much heat with it 😆

After Robgclarkson, Faustus and Nickhit3’s suggestions above though, I tried lifting the edge of the decals (Yari) with my fingernail and in a few minutes I’d got the main decal and square badge off the fork with nothing left behind and no damage. I’ll wipe down with IPA before fitting the new decals as a matter of course.

Just thought I’d post this back as it’s a job I’d been putting off as fiddly/time consuming which turned out to be an absolute breeze.

faustus

Putting stickers back on!? I’d have withheld the advice had i known 😉 !

Fork and wheel stickers/decals are ‘orrible and need to stay off, right!

mark90
    Free Member

Took the chavy stickers off my XX27 rims. Stickers peeled off easily, but left behind all the adhesive, whether warmed with heat gun or not. Tried everything that’s been listed on this thread except beer and Mr Sheen (must try that next time) and the only thing that shifted the glue without out huge amounts of work was petrol. Nice plain black rims now though so worth it.

voodoo_chile

Hairspray and gt85 for residue

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Removing decals…’ is closed to new replies.