Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Removing bottom bracket on Trek Fuel 9.7 2014
  • jayb123
    Free Member

Hi all just after a little advice. I’ve just ordered a dropper post for my trek but need to remove the bottom bracket to install. I’ve read theyre ‘slip fit’ so does this mean I don’t a specific tool or do I require ‘press fit’ tools. Just don’t want to buy the tools if they’re not required.

Cheers

coatesy
    Free Member

From memory, it’ll be a “Madone” BB, just bearings pressed into the frame, with a plastic sleeve between them. If it’s a carbon frame, they may well almost fall out on their own, but tapping them out with a drift is usually easy. As always, the correct size drifts should make re-fitting easier.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

If they fall out on their own rather than drift out then you’ll need the oversize BB bearings to get around the problem Trek don’t like to acknowledge but do produce a fix for.

coatesy
    Free Member

Known as V-type in Trek speak, sometimes they’re also loose 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, no tools required, a slight tap at most is generally all they need!

jayb123
    Free Member

Perfect. Its a carbon frame so hopefully just pop out. When you say “drift” what do you mean? Any suggestions of what tools to use so I don’t damage the bearings?

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Removing bottom bracket on Trek Fuel 9.7 2014’ is closed to new replies.