Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Removing axle from pedal
  • chvck
    Free Member

I managed to snap the axle in one of my pedals. Axle is midway through the pedal body so no way of getting a hold on it and when I try to undo the nut under the end cap it just spins. Also tried to get a drill involved but doesn’t appear to want to drill into the axle material. Any ideas?

bencooper
    Free Member

Depends on the pedal, but there’s usually a cup and cone system like on hubs – but recessed so hard to get to. Shimano make special nesting sockets to dismantle or adjust.

chvck
    Free Member

Sorry, forgot to mention they’re DMR vaults.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustyMac

Here is a link to a service videofor Vaults.

With them having a sealed bearing at the end-cap side of the pedal can you not just undo the end cap and drift the axle section and bearing out by supporting the pedal around the end cap end and using a screwdriver on the broken axle from the pedal thread end?

chvck
    Free Member

Thanks, I have serviced them before and I thought that there was a little stop or something in them meaning that the axle can’t go right through? If I’m wrong (I hope I am) then yeah I’ll just set to it with a punch and a hammer :). The bearing could do with being replaced anyway…

RustyMac

I can’t get the video to open to see if there i a shot down through the pedal body – offshore with crappy internet.

Although not impossible i’d be surprised if there were steps machined inside the pedal body, this would add weight and be more difficult when it came to machining the pedal adding expense.

chvck
    Free Member

1 whack of the hammer and I have a pedal body with no axle stuck in it, thank you 😀

RustyMac

Top stuff, glad i could help. Now go have a beer for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Removing axle from pedal’ is closed to new replies.