Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Removing artex from my bathroom walls bad idea?
  • Drapoon
    Free Member

As above.

Got 'orrible artex walls I want to tile over. I've read all the blurb about asbestos content etc.

I'm thinking of steaming it & scraping off using the appropriate mask. Apparently it isnt a good idea to just tile over artex???

Am I being a scaredy cat or is there quite cosiderable risk of inhaling nasty stuff

whimper whimper

Martin

z1ppy

why isn't it a good idea to tile over it, we've planning to plaster our ceiling when we have the cash.
    I've removed artex before now with a steamer, as long as you don't create any dust it should be fine, afterall I'm still here & fine…<cough> <cough> <choking noises>

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

(awkward foot shuffling and embarased look) I stripped huge elephant ears of artex off the walls of an old venue I used to run to turn it into a club using a flooring chisel and a mallet, should I have been dressed up like a nuclear engineer?

AND I got my mates to help too.

Shiiit 😯

tazzymtb

dpends on the age of the artex, easiest way is to take a small bulk sample (in 2 poly zip loc type bags) and phone a asbestos lab for a bulk analysis usually costs about fiver, but depends. if no asbestos found do what you want…if asbestos there are loads of companies who are HSE liscensed to strip it in a controlled and safe manner and issue you with a clearance certificate afterwards to show that no airborne fibres are present which may cause ill health.

I used to work with one of these lads, they always seemed decent

http://www.aibsolutions.co.uk/

Drapoon
    Free Member

cheers for the replies guys

Think I'll be sending some of it off to the lab…..!

Practical Matt…..you'll be sure to find out in 20 years or so whether or not astronauts suits should have been used.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Removing artex from my bathroom walls bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.