Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Removing a sink – any plumbing help greatly appreciated
  • monksie
    Free Member

I need to remove a pedestal sink and to be honest, I’m cacking it 🙂
    I’ve been quoted £80 by a plumber. I’m not cacking it to the tune of £80 though.
    Am I right in thinking that I need two cut off valves, turn the water off, run the taps dry, cut the pipes to the taps, remove the sink, take up the floorboard it’s standing on, cut the pipes again under the floorboard, fit the cut off valves, ensure they’re turned to off, remove/cut the waste pipe under the floorboards, put the floorboards back, turn the water back on, bin the sink and pedastal, all will (theoretically) be good?
    Or even better, any plumbers in Stockport willing to do it for less between Friday morning and Sunday evening (Monday at a push)?

wors

Pay the £80 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

£80 seems pretty reasonable tbh
    You can using blanking caps much cheaper than the valves as I bet you spend £15 on serviceman valves. I would also leave the water pipe work above floorboards – you may want it in the future and easier to see if it is leaking 😉
    the procedure is as you describe – you may have the valves on your taps already in which case you can reuse them by getting some new olives

totalshell

easy peasy. turn off the water at the stop cock ( if you haev a hot water cylinder turn off the feed from the cistern to the tank as well Normally a big red tap in the cylinder cupbaord (if unsure turn them all off11) open all the taps in the house ( provides a drian for any water in pipes to run to rather than over you!!)
    cut the pipe work to the taps anywhere above the floorboards. remove the basin and the pedestal.. . break the taps out of the porcelain (there worth 4.50 a kilo scarp!)

with pedeastal and basin removed and two pipes sticking up cut them below the surface of the floor etc.. if they are 15mm copper use brass 15mm compresion stop ends permanent job done turn water back on before refitting floorboards and test for 15 mins before refitting boards remove all above floor waste pipe and seal end with blanking cap
    will cost you <£5 and take an hour of your time max ( inc coffee and choccy biscuits..) stand back and soak up applause..

monksie
    Free Member

You’re not going to be anywhere near Stockport this weekend and in need of £40 for an hour of your expertise are you, totalshell? 🙂
    Reassured but still strangely cacking it…….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Removing a sink – any plumbing help greatly appreciated’ is closed to new replies.