Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Removing a seized Hope C2 piston? How?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Servicing my brothers old C2. Got the semi-seized piston out of one sized but the other is stuck fast. Left it to soak in GT85 which I'm hoping will do the trick but if that fails, how? Don't mind killing it as I've got a new piston to drop in.

Hammer / screwdriver / monkey wrench time?

allthepies
    Free Member

You've tried using circlip pliers presumably ?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Nope. Tried using a pin spanner, shoving it in the holes in the piston and trying to turn it to free it. No luck…

allthepies
    Free Member

More leverage then 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Or try some heat shock – boiling water on the piston with caliper wrapped in wet, cold rag etc.

Megatron

trackpump 8)

allthepies
    Free Member

>trackpump

C2 pistons are screwed in to the caliper 🙂

Megatron

aaah forgetting myself, been a few years since I sold my C2s…
    seem to remember it was one of the magic ways for removing stuck pistons, just got the wrong brake 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

Actually the recommended removal technique does involve a trackpump – unscrew first then use trackpump to pop piston out.

"4. Closed 2 caliper
    The piston requires unscrewing using a pin spanner. In most situations the piston
    will easily unscrew, if it is tight then do not force it with the pin spanner or you may
    damage the piston, in this case use the appropriate Hope tool available from your
    Hope dealer.
    Unscrew the piston to the end of its travel, at this point it will rotate
    freely without unscrewing any further. Now follow step 5 to completely remove the
    piston from the caliper.
    XC4 Caliper
    The procedure is similar to the Closed 2 caliper described above except the piston
    requires unscrewing using a broad flat blade.
    5. To remove the piston (all calipers) a bicycle ‘track pump’ is required. Open the
    bleed nipple 1/2 turn place the air line over the bleed nipple. Place your thumb over
    the recessed transfer hole and ask a second person to apply pressure with the
    pump. The piston will eventually eject with some force so point the caliper towards a
    clean rag to catch the piston and prevent damaging it. Caution : do not look directly
    at the piston whilst carrying out this operation otherwise it can fly out and strike you
    in the face."

Megatron

There may be something helpful on the Hope Website ??

page 12/13 may help??

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Think I've got it. Piston is rotating (slightly) but can't seem to undo it. Going to have another look now… assume it just unscrews left-loosey!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

More help! Got it so the piston rotates slightly now but it won't unscrew. Keeps springing back into the same position. Won't pull out either (or doesn't seem to want to).

Anymore ideas before I contact Hope?

coatesy
    Free Member

Having the proper tool and a vice to hold the caliper steady helps a lot. I've been in this situation many times with neglected brakes, a dribble of GT85 around the piston edge to lube the sticky seal also works wonders.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Removing a seized Hope C2 piston? How?’ is closed to new replies.