Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Removing a brick wall.
  • greasystain
    Free Member

I have a brick wall at the end of my garden that is leaning dangerously. What is the cheapest way to rid myself of it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not an expert, but:

wwaswas

stand the side that it's leaning away from.

brakes
    Free Member

nuke it from orbit
    just to be sure

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Order a skip (and get them to place it as near to the wall as humanly possible) and start at the top.

Or advertise it on Ebay – someone is sure to want the bricks and will take it down for you and remove the bricks… (or maybe not) 😉

29erKeith
    Free Member

depending on how big it is your local tip might be a pain in the arse about getting rid of it.
    mine will only allow a car boots worth or rubble at a time.
    so taking down shouldn't be a problem but getting rid of the left overs might be

greasystain
    Free Member

YEs the disposal of the bricks is the bit that is upsetting me.

£175 for a decent size skip!!!!

thepurist

To get rid of the bricks try your local Freecycle or else phone round builders/landscaping contractors – they may be putting in a soakaway somewhere and need a shedload of hardcore to fill it up.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Take a pic of the wall and put an advert up somewhere. If you were closer I'd think about coming and taking them off you.

wwaswas

£5 posted?

tron
    Free Member

Take the bricks down the tip in your boot?

This is subject to having a suitably sized wall.

wwaswas

my local tip has a limit of 5 rubble sacks per household per month now.

Jerome
    Free Member

Goggle local area.
    Often see signs in the south east for people looking for ballast ??

5lab

my local tip (brighton) limits me to one boot load per month. I've a mondeo estate, got about 1/3 of a tonne (roughly half the total) of old garden path in there, and they got arsey. Went back the next afternoon with the rest, heard nowt back. Did similar with asbesdos (monthly limit every weekend for 2 months) and didn't get any jip

It'll be heavier than it looks, but take it to the dump in stages over a short period of time. you'll be reet

wwaswas

the trick with Brighton 5lab is to go to the Brighton one in the morning then Hove and then Shoreham.

Shoreham seems most 'lax' ime.

Drac

This is subject to having a suitably sized wall.

And a suitable car. The bricks our house are made from are very dense they will soon drop the suspension in a car.

spooky_b329

I had a window knocked into a doorway, window is only 1 metre wide with the sill less than 1 metre from the wall. For such a small bit of wall, it created a huge pile of bricks…took several trips to the tip and on the first visit I did get told that I'd just bought in my allocation for the month. The tip is only round the corner so I just left it a few hours for the second trip and snuck in quietly, then a third trip the following weekend 🙂

Sounds like the skip will be well worth it, unless you can find someone who wants the bricks. Or find out how much it'll cost to get rid of them at a hardcore recycling/supply place, and hire a Transit (a 350, (3.5t) not a wimpy 260 or 280 that will be overloaded before you've got it a third full 🙂

Edit: As we've got onto Brighton, there is a hardcore place near the bottom of the A23, my driveway laying mate is a regular customer, in fact I'm sure he mentioned he can get a grab lorry to come along and scoop up all his rubbish for less than the price of a skip, could be worth a look?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seriously – why the hell do tips limit how much stuff you can take to them? Isn't the *point* of a tip to have somewhere to take stuff you need to dispose of.

I guess it goes some way to explain the 'fly tipping' thread recently.

ads-b
    Free Member

Save yourself a lot of time and energy. Get a grab lorry to pick it up. Round here its £150-200 for lift. Dont need to knock it down, will just pick it up as it stands.
    Grab lift

greasystain
    Free Member

Grab loory sounds good – however It's right at the back of the back garden.

Just had a leaflet through the door for someone who may be able to help:)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Hippo Bag

Cheaper than a skip.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where d'you live? We could use bricks.

trailmonkey

greasystain
    Free Member

Where d'you live? We could use bricks.

Maidenhead, Berks.

Does that help?

falkirk-mark

Prop your pub bike agaist the wall, push wall onto bike , claim insurance for bike plus wall and rebuild. job done

molgrips
    Free Member

Nope. Well, I work near there.. but I'm not hiring a van all week to take bricks home 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

My other half thinks threads like this are really sad and that you should get either a life ,a friend, a builder or join face book .Hit it with a sledge hammer for god sake how thick are you?

Northwind

If you split the wall, can I have the mortar?

epicyclo

wwaswas – Member
    my local tip has a limit of 5 rubble sacks per household per month now.

That's what beauty spots are for, innit?

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Chain yer bike against the wall and when the thieving scumbags come to pinch it , the wall will fall on them .

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Removing a brick wall.’ is closed to new replies.