• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jason.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Removable/plug in swan neck towbars
  • BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I’ve decided I need to get a towbar fitted to my car for use with a bike rack.

I don’t really want the towbar on my car though so I’ve been looking at removable ones where the frame has a sort of socket with latch on it and the swan neck can be unlatched and removed without the use of tools.

It occurs to me though that any play in the interface, while not being an issue if used to tow a trailer, could be a problem with a bike rack cantilevered off it.

Anyone got any experience of this type of towbar?

ThePinkster

Got a Thule removable swan neck on the Pug and never had any problems with it when using my 4 bike rack.

Seems just as sturdy as my previous flange mounted towbar & rack. Been using it for over 3 years so far with no issues.

mattbee

Westfalia removable swan neck on my van used with a Thule rack. Had no issues with it or with anything else I’ve towed, caravan, car & box trailers.

richmars

Got one on my new (2nd hand) car. No play on the ball, and a bit of a pig to remove (possibly due to muck and not being taken off for a few years).

chunkypaul
    Free Member

It occurs to me though that any play in the interface, while not being an issue if used to tow a trailer, could be a problem with a bike rack cantilevered off it.

not an issue when you use it properly (within the weight limit)

been using a Witter removable bar with an Atera rack like below for four years and no issues

cossyrush
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of westfallia removable swan neck tow bars, fitted to different cars and found them to be really good.
    Always found PF Jones had the best price, and have used local fitters.
    It’s a bit of an upfront investment to have one fitted and then buy a carrier also, I use a Thule 2 bike carrier, but I reckon for the convenience you can’t beat it.
    Tow bar and bike carrier can be fitted in about 1 minute.
    Saves the hassle of a dirty bike in the car, or on the roof.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i used PF Jones also

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I had a pendle rack before with a flange mounted bracket on a previous car and although I appreciated the secureness of the slot in system, the rack itself was a pain in the arse. Heavy, cumbersome and you had to piss about underneath with alley screws to adjust anything. Even the uprights couldnt be collapsed without using an allen key. Awful thing.

So, I’ve bought a second hand Thule 9402 and now just need the towbar.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use a Westfalia detachable swan neck towbar as below and mount my Thule Euroclassic. No wobble at all in fact it is rock solid.

NZCol

Same here on my van, spot on

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s only for a bike rack and not for towing, get the Thule bike rack adapter instead of a towbar. Works better.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    If it’s only for a bike rack and not for towing, get the Thule bike rack adapter instead of a towbar. Works better.

got a link? I can’t seem to find any details on that.

Jason
    Free Member

I have a Westfalua detachable too. No noticeable movement when a bike rack is fitted on it. When it is removed you can’t tell the car had a towbar fitted. Mine also came from PF Jones.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Removable/plug in swan neck towbars’ is closed to new replies.