Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Remote Desktop
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Remote desktop server only comes with W7 ultimate, is that right? Is there a way of getting it to work on other versions of W7 without having to upgrade the whole of windows?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

What’s remote desktop server?

I can remote on to my W7 Pro machine from elsewhere with remote desktop… or is this something else?

GrahamS

Use VNC instead?

Stoner
    Free Member

RDP is active on all versions of W7 I thought?

nbt

Have you enabled remote access on the machine? It’s not enable by default I think

molgrips
    Free Member

I might be thinking of Vista. Haven’t checked W7 actually 😳

lodious
    Free Member

No, it def. does not come with Windows 7 Home Premium…I tried it on Monday.

mossimus
    Free Member

RDP server only on Win 7 Pro or Ultimate.

RDP Client is on all versions of Win7

molgrips
    Free Member

Same as Vista then.

xiphon
    Free Member

Have a look at RAdmin, it’s a very good alternative. Used to use it on old Win2000 servers.

LogMeIn too…

ourkidsam
    Free Member

LogMeIn is good

Cougar

The host end of RDP isn’t supported in “Home” versions of Vista / Windows 7 (other than Ultimate IIRC).

However. If you fire up regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server

You’ll see a key here named “fDenyTSConnections”, set to 1. If you set to 0, it’ll accept RDP connections. Unsupportedly.

You’re welcome. I accept payment in most major forms of alcohol. (-:

Cougar

(oh – this won’t put RDP settings on the Remote tab of System Properties or anything like that, so to disable it you need to regedit it back again)

Flash
    Free Member

2nd for LogMeIn or thirded

coffeeking
    Free Member

Fairly sure I’ve used remote desktop on a vista home edition machine, from a W7 ultimate machine.

molgrips
    Free Member

However. If you fire up regedit and go to:

That’s exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Cougar comes through as always 🙂

Cougar

<grins> ta.

I do worry sometimes about the amount of largely pointless cruft floating round my head. I think my mind’s like that carrier bag of largely unidentifiable cables and chargers that every geek has somewhere in their house. You look at it and think “why am I keeping this?” and then someone will ring you up one day going “long shot, but have you got a converter for a nine-pin European whosit to a UK 6-pin square connector” and you go “you know, actually…”

molgrips
    Free Member

So do you know this much about other areas besides PCs? 🙂

I too have a box of electronic-related gubbins. I recently sorted it out and distilled it to all the useful stuff like 2.5″ disk caddies and small portable dvd drives etc.

Cougar

Like the box of cables – I know everything, of course, the problem is finding it. (-:

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thought this might have been an interesting discussion but it seems you’re all talking about novice RD tools 😉

Dave
    Tivoli Framework (and TCM and TWS) Expert

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Remote Desktop’ is closed to new replies.