Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Remote control light switch
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I have 3 pendant lights in my garage that are controlled by a switch that’s at the garage door end and as I have a car in there it’s not easy to get to the switch – car is as far over as possible to the wall the switch is on and right against the garage door.

I have a couple of led’s lights on pir’s so when I go in the garage from the back door they come on. But I’d like an easier way of switching the pendant lights on.

I could run another switch but I’d need conduit across the wall, Hive bulbs are possible but wifi isn’t great in the garage.

Easiest option is probably a remote control light switch with a fob.

There’s a load on ebay but they all appear to be from china and look a bit dodgy plus looks like you need to fit some sort of electronic box in the ceiling rose.

Anyone got a decent remote switch then?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

String and a rocker switch? 😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

Why not just replace the the switch with another pir?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why not just replace the the switch with another pir?

I don’t always want them on though and if I’m at the back door end of the garage then the lights would likely go off as I’d be out of the range of the pir, and there’s a car blocking its line of sight.

fasthaggis

Would a long finger pointer fix your 1stworldproblem? 😛
    😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bit low tech for me 🙂

ceept

Move the switch, or put a 2nd switch on.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Move the switch, or put a 2nd switch on.

As I said if I did that I’d need to run conduit right round that wall. It’s a possible solution but a switch I can operate via a fob is probably the easiest option.

matt_outandabout

Replace the lights with inbuilt PIR? Leave the switch on permanently.

Gary_M
    Free Member

PIR’s aren’t ideal – I don’t want them on all the time and the ceiling is quite high so I have pendant lights on long cables.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I use some inbuilt PIRs like that one in the pic where the previous owner had run switches to stupid places. Love them. No problem leaving on all the time, the power consumption is (supposedly) very low, not that I’ve checked or anything. Sometimes switch off at the wall when away on hols etc.

Sensitivity etc can be adjusted so they only come on when it’s dark enough and the automatic switch-off probably saves more power than they cost in being left active all the time. Though being LEDs it’s peanuts anyway.

Incidentally, do all old people still refuse to use efficient lights or is it just my lot? I know the early generations of low-energy bulbs were a bit crappy but these days LEDs are really good.

benp1
    Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm the bluetooth bulb might be an option, that would mean I could control the 3 lights independently.

I already have 2 lights on pir, I don’t want these ones on pir too 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

If you are going to spend the time and effort.

Wifi extender (or hard wire one if you have to)
    Phillips Hue
    Amazon dot

‘Garage light on’

I have my kitchen lights and lamps set up on groups. I’m still chuffed with it 3 months later.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Varilight

I’ve got a couple of the more expensive LED dimming versions that I’ve had no issues with.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Couple of good options there, but after looking at Bluetooth bulbs then a bluetooth switch would make sense. Which brings me a back to a multitude of cheap tat on ebay.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Good thinking but at 45 Lumens I don’t think it’ll provide much light 🙂

This one might be worth a punt though

I wonder if the remote can control more than one lamp

stevehine

one of these ?

remote dimmer

You need to supply the remote; but if your anything like me must have tons hanging around from long forgotten appliances…

nickdavies

Just like above poster – I had a remote dimmer in the lounge in an older house, might refit it it’s somewhere. You just programmed it to an ir remote. Needed dimmer compatible bulbs though.

You can get things tailored more to what you want like this:
    https://www.alertelectrical.com/knightsbridge-ip66-5-way-remote-switch-box-ip665g.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5cj15-7S1gIVa7HtCh11eAmMEAQYDyABEgI6XfD_BwE

3 gang one is £40.

zilog6128

I have the Varilight dimmer suggested above a few times. Works fine! Fairly cheap at B&Q. Pretty sure it came with a remote although I’ve always used it with my Harmony

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Bluetooth bulbs to phone app? Although don’t know why you wouldn’t want all the garage lights always to come on PIR when it’s dark, if I was a maniac axe clown, that’s where I’d be waiting for you. Flux, satechi, sunlabz, maybe some options are available in b&q / maplins.

Flaperon

Look at IKEA Tradfri. Nice bright lights, idiot-proof remote control that you can stick on the wall.

eskay

Another vote for the Ikea lights. My father in-law wanted something to do a similar job and I picked one up for him. It is perfect for the job and was just a case of screwing the bulb into the pendant and off you go!

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a look at mi-light wifi bulbs. You can control them from your phone or you can buy standalone battery operated switches.

leebaxter
    Free Member

Search for Sonoff. They do remote switches for cheap, and they are very good.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I was going to suggest IKEA, stuff looks good, only reason I didn’t is OP says poor WiFi in garage, so wasn’t sure it would work without WiFi.

Gary_M
    Free Member

don’t know why you wouldn’t want all the garage lights always to come on PIR when it’s dark, if I was a maniac axe clown, that’s where I’d be waiting for you

I already have two lights on pir’s on the wall and I don’t want the pendant lights on pir’s for various reasons – don’t want them on all the time, depending on where I am in the garage only 1 would come on, etc.

The ikea lamps look perfect. Doesn’t mention wifi on the detail so assume it isn’t needed.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I can’t believe you’d go through all this faff and expense rather than just put another switch in. 30min job and very low cost and you’ve got a perfectly reliable solution. The mind boggles.

eskay

The ikea lamps look perfect. Doesn’t mention wifi on the detail so assume it isn’t needed.

No wifi needed

Gary_M
    Free Member

I can’t believe you’d go through all this faff and expense rather than just put another switch in. 30min job and very low cost and you’ve got a perfectly reliable solution. The mind boggles.

Faff? I’d say replacing three bulbs then pairing them to a remote was far less faff than running conduit round the wall and putting another switch in. 5 minute job v 60 minute job, £60 is hardly going to break the bank and I get a far tidier solution. Hope that unboggles your mind 🙂

Ikea it is. Ta

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Remote control light switch’ is closed to new replies.