Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Remind me about Cannock…
  • munkster
    Free Member

…been a couple of times over a year ago but always with someone else who knew the place. Was planning to go tomorrow on my lonesome – it’s easy to follow the route(s) right?? Any tips?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Don’t bother, the trails are pretty cr@p.

munkster
    Free Member

Where would you suggest I “gotonmybike” instead then??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rocketman
    Free Member

it’s easy to follow the route(s) right??

Yup park at Birches Valley & just follow the red markers

Caution: not the red markers for the wheelchair trail 🙂

neil853
    Free Member

eh? cr@p?! Listen its not the Alps (obviously) but I think the trails are excellent. Some fantastic bits of single track and well worth a visit. Don’t expect long climbs or descents (its is in the Midlands) but for what elevation there is its really good. Not forgetting the fact that volunteers have put a hell of a lot of work in there over the years!

As for navigation its dead easy, just follow the way markers.

MrsToast
    Free Member

If you start at Swinnertons (the bike shop) at Birches Valley, you should be fine. Both red routes are well signposted, assuming that no scrotes have vandalised the posts.

If you’re doing the red, you’ll start off on Follow the Dog for the first few sections, go up a fireroad hill then left into another section, and halfway through there’s a decision point – left onto the Monkey trail, straight on to carry on with Follow the Dog. The Monkey doubles the trail length pretty much, and joins back up with Follow the Dog back to Birches Valley.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Would have come and shown you how to follow the markers but my little one has the chicken pox… (usually go up Tuesdays)

But as most have said get to Birches Valley find the Go ape/ shop area and the trail starts there.

munkster
    Free Member

Cheers. I *have* been at least twice before (IIRC) but always left the navigation to others – just wanted a re-assurance that it was as easy to navigate as it seemed…

rocketman
    Free Member

You will have no problem this time of year there is a steady flow of people going round

Garry_Lager

The Monkey trail seemed miles better to me than the FtD loop. So you could park up by the railway and just do the Monkey trail a couple of times.
    Saying that, the loops are not super long so it would be no hardship just to go to the main car park and get warmed up on FtD.

bennyb
    Free Member

went yesterday and loved it. trials were a bit chewed up in places (but makes it more technical) and the newish sections they have added in are fun. ignore the moaners, Cannocks top notch and well worth a visit 🙂

lucien

Are there any braking bumps?

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I was really impressed with Cannock. With the space and land they had available, the trails easily exceeded my expectations. Really worth a visit.

honeybadgerx

Are there any braking bumps?

We contemplated adding a ‘Chase Trails Braking Bumps of Doom’ section by our camp at SITS the other weekend, good job we didn’t as people had enough to complain about already….. 😉

darryl1983
    Free Member

Is there any restrictions on parking near the railway? I’ve noticed quite a few do it, I’m guessing it’s free to park there. Not that i mind paying £3-£4 to help pay for the up keep of the place. I’d just prefer to do the monkey trail several times, and not have to safe any energy for the ride back to the car park.

almightydutch
    Free Member

save any energy for the ride back to the car park

Shitbag hill is what maketh the man

Scamper
    Free Member

The mighty werewolf drop appears to have been upgraded to Black with a new chicken run.

Be careful out there…..

jekkyl

don’t just park at the road and do the monkey bit, do the whole thing. The bit from the split down to the railway is one of the best bits.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

don’t just park at the road and do the monkey bit, do the whole thing. The bit from the split down to the railway is one of the best bits.

Aye…you’d miss out tackeroo, too (the last section back to BV after the caravan site) which would be a shame, cos it’s great fun.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Rusty Shackleford – Member
    Aye…you’d miss out tackeroo, too (the last section back to BV after the caravan site) which would be a shame, cos it’s great fun.

yeah I agree… its only really the first bit to the top of the first climb on ftd thats quite dull. the bit from the split is one of the best sections. If I’m being lazy I will miss out most of the monkey and ride straight up the fire road and just do the cliff section then rejoin the dog. which makes about a 10 mile loop.

tazzymtb

Shitbag hill is what maketh the man

has been ridden on a penny farthing! if you can’t get your lardy bum up it on a modern geared bicycle you need to cut down on the pies! 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

+1 tazzy 😀 cannock is alright but i never have that much fun when i ride there. The lower cliff descent is still the best bit. Imo the rollers have been ruined by the rocks they’ve put in but i can see why they’ve done it.

takisawa2

Shame about the first reply. 🙄

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Remind me about Cannock…’ is closed to new replies.