• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Remedies for stinky cycling shoes
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, give me your best remedies for my smelly MTBing shoes.

Ever since a prior hit the north, they have developed a stench like the sweat of the devil's soles.

Since they hang up behind the cellar door, the dining room and kitchen currently smell rather rancid….

Cheers

bassspine
    Free Member

neutrogena antibacterial shoe spray

SiB
    Free Member

friend puts his in the washing machine, fortnightly for the last few months, they seem ok although worn looking. Wouldnt like to try it with expensive ones just in case. Me, the old smelly ones live outside and are worn on wet muddy rides, new ones for drier days (although it doesnt always work out like this). Perfect excuse for getting a new pair

Flash
    Free Member

Washing machine (dents the drum a bit)

molgrips
    Free Member

Just had an idea. Why not get one of those hand held steam cleaners? You might be able to steam the bacteria out.

TheFlyingOx

Wash in the shower, then LOADS of bicarbonate of soda. Leave to dry on a radiator, then some more bicarb.

elaineanne
    Free Member

doesnt bicarb leave a white residue ? ghost shoes ? lol

thomthumb
    Free Member

sunlight works well.

TheFlyingOx

You only put it in the inside of the shoes…

jacksta
    Free Member

be careful washing them in the shower if its an over bath jobbie – I did (do) that, dropped one and have a big scratch in my bath now 🙁

Having said that, I have also found if you dont wash them from the beginning after each muddy ride then you dont get rid of the smell…sorry…keep them outside 🙂

torsoinalake
    Free Member

What brand of shoes are they?

My Shimano shoes lasted years and never smelt, they only ended service because they fell to bits. My Northwave shoes are close to being thrown out after a year because they hum so much. They have always had a lingering 'cat piss' smell after a wet ride, but recently I have banned them from getting near the house when they are wet due to the stench.

Driller
    Free Member

If you can leave the insoles in the sun then the UV light will kill the bacteria.

Or you could treat them to an hour on the sunbed, go on, you could curl up next to them.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers all.

I blame the HTN mud. It smelt like the decomposing body of a forgotten tramp, and seemed to have the sticky consistency of octopus sh*t.

So, I'll give the bicarb a try. Unfortuantely, UV is out – I live in Manchester.

Ta!

nickc

if it's just sweat then loads of bicarb of soda, quick shoogie, an empty out, will kill off any bad 'trainer shoe' smell. If it's that rancid Cat piss smell of leather that's been dried after a good soaking, then it's either wash them and dry in the airing cupboard, or leave them in the fresh air for a few days.

ourmaninthenorth

Hmm. Rancid cat piss smell.

Back outside then. Or a sealed box in the cellar.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Wash your feet better. I've used the cheapo inner soles b4 and they work fine. Bicarb just doesn't work if the problem is too great.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Dont leave them in the car boot, took months for ours to stop smelling.

Given up with mine now, i leave them in the outside boiler room.

hels
    Free Member

Washing machine all the way. But best to take the cleats out first, then regrease and put them back in, or they rust in solid. Found that out the hard way.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+7 for washing machine along with my cycle gear stops noise 😀 I dont take cleats out

JAG

No 1 tip for removing smelly odour!

Clean and dry shoes and place inside a new, clean Freezer Bag. Expel excess air and tie the top of the bag nice and tight. When wife/husband/significant-other is not looking; place them in the Freezer and leave them there for 24 hours.

-22 Celsius kills all bugs and shoes come out without the smell!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Remedies for stinky cycling shoes’ is closed to new replies.