Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Remapping a high milage car
  • starsh78
    Free Member

anyone remapped a car that has seen about 165k on the clock? thinking about getting our megane done now that she has had a new turbo and clutch fitted.

also can you recommend anyone in the surrey richmond/kingston area

ta

watsontony
    Free Member

165k on the clock and you call yourself a cyclist?

starsh78
    Free Member

nah i call myself a mountain biker….. cyclists are trouble 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

The main areas for concern in my opinion would be the turbo and the clutch.

If they have not done 165k miles, then go for it 😉

watsontony
    Free Member

you have a point.

legend
    Free Member

BMW’s 1980s turbo F1 engines used to have a minimum of 100,00 miles on the clock before being converted to race use. If it’s good enough for them……… 😉

martymac

BMW’s 1980s turbo F1 engine BLOCKS used to have a minimum of 100,000 miles on the clock.
    something to do with the number of heat cycles through the block iirc.

watsontony
    Free Member

i can see what you two are saying but what the hell has a 1980s f1 engine got to do with this family car?

martymac

lol, nothing much tbh, i just slipped into pedant mode, im sorry.
    if the clutch and turbo are in good nick i would do the remap, they are the parts most affected by an increase in power/torque.

Gary_C

A Megane with 165k on the clock? 😯

legend
    Free Member

watsontony – Member
    i can see what you two are saying but what the hell has a 1980s f1 engine got to do with this family car?

they were standard road engines turned into f1 engines, that’s what. Ergo, this megane should be good for around 1,100bhp

tarquin
    Free Member

My friend remapped his Peugeot 306 HDI at a similar mileage.

Still running now on 242k, he had to replace the clutch at about 220k, but this was after at least 50k of it being remapped and probably the original clutch to his knowledge (had it since only 2 or 3 years old and was low mileage then).

It wasn’t slipping, just went really heavy over time, new clutch and cable sorted it out.

Still on the original turbo too. From memory though, some Citroen Xsaras ran higher power (what his mapped to, from 90 to 110bhp) from the factory.

Northwind

Not quite as high but got my mondeo done at 100,000. No probs. Quote “I’ve never heard anything rattle so much on the rollers without breaking”. Mind you if you’re intending to drive the car harder that’ll obviously be a consideration.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Remapping a high milage car’ is closed to new replies.