• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DaveP.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Remap has FUBARd my ECU, will I die?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I type this from my office desk as opposed to driving on my merry way home as I had a mobile remap booked for my 2.0 diesel Megane GT this afternoon which has left my car in limp mode.

Stuck 60 miles from home and all the remap chap could say was ‘I don’t know what to do, Italy (software head office) is closed now’

So, whilst I sit here and ponder
    A) HTF am I going to get home tonight?
    B) when this is hopefully sorted with a revised software update, should I pay a single penny?
    C) should I be really angry?
    D) is my ECU fixable?

I’ve remained fully calm at face value, awaiting to unleash tomorrow should he not be able to fix this. I’ve not dabbled with any kind of ECU jiggers pokery before and this experience has naturally left me extremely anxious about the furture state of my car, and the Italian knob jockeys who’ve so far not been able to provide the service they offer

Edric64
    Free Member

Why did it need a remap ?

mrhoppy

A) Public transport?
    B) Hell no!
    C) Yes
    D) Depends what they’ve done but entirely feasibly no, maxtorque of this parish is the man to speak to.

HTH

sharkattack

Remaps are great but you absolutely must get them done by an expert, preferably live tuning on a rolling road. I know that’s the expensive way but the cheap alternative is having some monkey with a laptop ‘flash’ your ECU and upload a generic and completely unsuitable map. I think you’ve just discovered the dangers of this option.

Oh, and don’t pay a penny!

m0rk
    Free Member

Did he not take a copy of your ECU before flashing it with his ‘improved’ file? – this is normal practice for when it goes wrong

Should just reflash with the ‘copy’ of the original and all things are good.

julians
    Free Member

buy cheap buy twice.

Given that the engine runs albeit in limp mode suggests he hasnt totally bricked your ecu, so get him to put the standard map back on it, and then run a mile from him.

If you must get it remapped get it done by a firm that has experience and is well known for that particular car model.

mc
    Free Member

Given Italy has been mentioned, I can guess the interface and software being used. Whether he read a copy of the flash before he remapped it would depend on the ECU, but even if he did, then it has to be sent to HQ to be converted into a writable file.
    If it is the company I think it is, then their UK office is open to 7, although their technical guys finish at 4 or 5.

Worst case scenario is it has to go on the dealer diagnostics and get the genuine software loaded back in.

footflaps

Sounds like he’s put the wrong file in there!

slimjim78
    Free Member

MC – is the company you are thinking of worthy of continuing with, or when fixed, should I run a mile?

He told me he had obtained the original map back from the HO in Italy, I did wonder why he wouldn’t have a copy stored locally. I haven’t lost my rag with him, yet. Am awaiting his response tomorrow regarding a fix

mssansserif
    Free Member

Give the guy a break it is a Megan, it might not be his fault…

mc
    Free Member

It depends on what you’re trying to achieve. We used them for quite a lot of remapping to improve fuel economy, and we’ve never had any provable issues. We did start seeing certain faults increase after, but nothing you could really proof was down to the remap, and may of been pure coincidence given the natural aging of the fleet. Things like the number of Transit EGR valves increased (they were rubbish anyway!), along with more Transits having erratic fuel pressure issues (which were mostly cured by updating to the latest ford software).

They are a kind of one size fits all remap, which is good enough to get certain gains out of engines, but you do run the risk of blindly pushing things too far and getting issues, which on a rolling road you could detect and compensate for.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mc, slight hijack here but my transit runs shit sometimes. Full dealer history and just out-of warranty. It gets noisy, almost throaty when driving sometimes, almost sounds like it’s blowing around the manifold. It then seeks to hunt for diesel at low revs. Any symptoms sound familiar?

slimjim78
    Free Member

I asked for small moon/stick, noticeable improvement to mid range whilst noticeable improvement in fuel economy. He claimed to be able to offer a ‘full custom’ map to achieve this, plus remove flat spot/turbo lag and would be no problem as the ECU is same as that in other Qashquai, Traffic and some other Vauxhall model that he’s already had great success with

craigxxl
    Free Member

I guess he never backed up the original map. I hope he won’t be charging you for this.

mc
    Free Member

Mc, slight hijack here but my transit runs shit sometimes. Full dealer history and just out-of warranty. It gets noisy, almost throaty when driving sometimes, almost sounds like it’s blowing around the manifold. It then seeks to hunt for diesel at low revs. Any symptoms sound familiar?

Hunting is typical of the ECU struggling to control fuel pressure, which is most noticeable at idle. Later updates seemed to of fixed most issues in that area, and make relearning the valve a much less painful process. Since the later updates, I’ve rarely had to change a fuel regulator solenoid.
    Noise could be anything, but if no warning lights are coming on, I’d doubt there’s anything actually leaking from the boost side.
    Might be a fuel pressure issue though, as the injection timing will vary to compensate. I’d certainly go for an update, and relearning the fuel regulator, before looking further.

One thing that does spring to mind, is if it’s a rear wheel drive, check the inlet tract to the air filter housing, as they often fall apart and rattle like f***, and makes you think something serious is wrong. A suitably placed cable tie to hold it together solves that problem.

stu170
    Free Member

Any one thinking of a cheap remap have a read of this
    http://passionford.com/forum/general-car-related-discussion/483738-remapping-companies-rant-disgraceful-practices.html

It’s very common by all accounts

slimjim78
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a decent mapping source in the Sussex/Surrey area then?

footflaps

He claimed to be able to offer a ‘full custom’ map to achieve this

It will only be custom if done of a rolling road. If the car is upgraded whilst parked up, it’s just a ‘generic’ remap based on the average car.

dooosuk
    Free Member

So how did you get home?

DickBarton

Took the bike out the boot and rode it home…hopefully…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You got a man with a laptop to turn up at your work and put a map developed by Italians on a car developed by the French? And now it doesn’t work?

[insert that facepalm meme of Patrick Stewart here]

trail_rat
    Free Member

could be worse i guess…

DaveP

wrightyson – that sounds like it is doing a DPF regen

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Remap has FUBARd my ECU, will I die?’ is closed to new replies.