Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Relocating to south end of the Peak District – commuting to towns/cities?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Hello all – my witterings have been converted and have got a job up in Derbyshire starting later in the year. SWMBO however will still need to get a job, pref in a reasonable sized hospital (as a pharmacist) such as in Derby so although I have researched times and distances of trains, cars and buses would appreciate any local knowledge on how this might pan out in reality.

Thoughts are to live somewhere within spitting distance of the Belper train line into Derby. Trains don't seem very regular (not for someone used to London timetables anyway!) but presume they are reliable given people must have to depend on them? Belper or Ambergate stations seem to be well placed for where we are looking.

Another alternative is Wirksworth but appreciate that's not on the train line – not far to drive to Belper or Ambergate though I would have thought? Any other options I've not thought of there? Ideally would like to be west of the A6 although Crich/Fritchley are high on our list…

Thanks muchly in advance for any help/insight.

boxelder

From a bit further north, Sheffield/Chesterfield are do-able aren't they?

munkster
    Free Member

Chesterfield should be yeah… Sheffield might be a bit more of a trek, not hugely but just over the threshold she'll be prepared to drive (no trains up that way from Belper etc I get the impression).

Blackhound

From Wirksworth both Cromford and Whatstandwell stations would be convenient to.

Think it is an hourly service now, it was nearer two hourly for years so you are moving at a good time.

A6 into Derby gets busy at rush hour as you would expect but it is all nice up there.

munkster
    Free Member

Ah, hadn't thought of Cromford or Whatstandwell, good points. It is hourly yeah… cheers for replying.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Mansfield (Kings Mill Hospital) shouldn't be too far from that part of the world.

tjr666
    Free Member

Theres always Buxton as well, bit more of a distance but all A roads, pretty straight run.

Dino
    Free Member

Welcome to the land of hills,
    Whatstandwell nice and some of the villages between Chesterfield
    and Whatstandwell area also give fairly easy commute and plenty of evening rides around without going right into the peaks.
    Drop us a line when you move and me and the guys will show you some local runs which the tourists dont know.

munkster
    Free Member

Good call ebygomm re: Mansfield, hadn't realised that would be so close.

Buxton will be a bit tortuous for her I reckon, train or simple roads preferred… Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks Dino, I don't doubt I'll be back on here look for ride opps once we do move!

Frodo

Buxton is good. Direct train to Stepping Hill hospital and not to far to Manchester. Also there is Macclefield not to far away as well. Buxton also has a small hospital. Cracking biking in this area, close to the mighty (new) mills!

the-muffin-man

If you're wanting to set up home in the Belper –> Cromford area then getting to Mansfield can be a right ball-ache at peak times. The delays around J28 of the M1 can be a nightmare and occur with increasing regularity.

boxelder

Second Buxton – we lived there for 4 yrs. $0 min direst train to Manchester, shorter to Stockport.

joemarshall
    Free Member

We live in Belper. If you're relying on trains to get to Derby, Belper or Duffield are better than Ambergate/Cromford etc. because they have very reliable buses also as a backup. The train service is very reliable.

If you're in Wirksworth etc. driving to the train station would be a waste of time, almost as easy to drive into Derby, and probably quicker to get bus into Derby.

If you live past Whatstandwell (cromford, Matlock etc.) traffic gets a bit worse, especially in the summer they can be a nightmare.

Belper is nice because you don't have to drive to go shopping / go out to a cafe / buy flowers & chocolate etc., or to get to the train station.

As for hospitals, Derby has 1 big hospital in the middle of nowhere and a smaller one right near the train station. It is a bit of a pain to get to the bigger one by public transport (dead easy on a bike though). Nottingham has the biggest hospital in the world or something – QMC, which has an hourly okay fast bus service from Belper, Whatstandwell etc. and is also pretty easy to get to from Nottingham train station (bus ride away though). If she can help it, I would avoid getting a job in Mansfield hospital – a scary place is Mansfield and I imagine the hospital is not exactly the nicest.

Joe

andyfla
    Free Member

one thing to remember is the new city hospital in Derby is a fair distcnace out of town so car is the easiest route there (the old DRI in the centre of town is basically shut)

A6/A38 is straight to the hospital but the last 2 miles can take an age around Markeaton roundabout.

Welcome to sunny Derbyshire

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, more interesting stuff again, useful.

Interested in this though

Nottingham has the biggest hospital in the world or something – QMC, which has an hourly okay fast bus service from Belper

Can't seem to find any details on this, does it have some kind of special name? Any bus route details I can find all have to change in Derby…

joemarshall
    Free Member

Queens Medical Centre is the hospital (aka Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust – Queens Medical Centre Campus).
    http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/Pages/Hospital.aspx?id=RX1RA

Transpeak is the bus route to QMC.
    http://www.transpeak.co.uk/

Joe

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks for the links Joe.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I think into Nottingham from that side of the city would be a nightmare, if driving/bus. Train is not really an option for the QMC, park and ride with the tram might work but they haven't built that bit of it yet.

I know quite a few people who come into Ashfield via the A38 and they don't seem to have too much trouble, the hospital is right on the A38 and the west side of Mansfield so it's not like you have to go through. As long as you can avoid the M1 I think it would be fine.

There's some ok places (South Wingfield) that are only about 10 miles from the hospital, you're wife could bike it!

munkster
    Free Member

Yeah, does sound like some of these options will be a "ball ache" (to quote the-muffin-man) but just exploring the options at present. Quite disorientating really but have a good few months to sort it all out. Hadn't mentioned it but I need to be convenient for Ashbourne hence why Belper appealed, seemed good for there and Derby.

Thanks all for contributions, I know this has been done a few times before on here (and I've started a couple of them!) so I do appreciate it.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I would avoid getting a job in Mansfield hospital – a scary place is Mansfield and I imagine the hospital is not exactly the nicest.

Well, technically the hospital isn't in Mansfield, they're in the process of spending 320million on it so it's all shiny and new and "The new Pharmacy opened in May 2009, containing one of the UK’s largest automated dispensing robots in an acute hospital setting". Robots sound cool 🙂

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Munkster i'd say Belper like others here if you want a something remotely rural. I commute each day to Matlock and drive thoughout the county (as far North as Tintwhistle and as far South as Netherseal) in my job. Chesterfield is a nightmare to get in to and out of in rush hour (especially if you are coming off the A38 through Clay Cross). Matlock? Traffic on the A6 is a real pain in the summer.

My wife works at the new City Hospital in Derby and it's very modern and clean. It may be in Mickleover, but its far easier to get to than the old DRI in the middle of town. Easy links to the new hospital from the A6/A38/A50.

Have you considered Ashbourne?

iain1775
    Free Member

QMC hospital is the pits. It has a very bad reputation with people in the know locally (I know a couple of maternity nurses that do rounds and they all hate QMC)
    Derby hospital is brand new and is not in middle of know-where like others say – I live 5 mins away and know for a fact it is actually well served with buses – there are at least 5 different buses from the town centre / train station / old DRI site to there – and the hospital hopper bus I think is free for staff. It would also only be 15 mins by bike (I do journey the in reverse)
    By car it is on the A38 and close to A50, yes A38 can be a pig in rush hour but coming from Belper direction you would soon learn the back routes through Quardon etc that would completely avoid the queues (- the B road from Wirksworth is actually quicker than the A6 due to traffic) this applies to any location though, local knowledge on the traffic and alternaive routes is easily picked up over a couple of weeks so I wouldnt stress too much about traffic

Train into Derby not only option from the places you list – there is also the Transpeak bus from Manchester down the A6 that stops at the larger places.

Chesterfield may be a good base, large town, easy to get to Sheffield (car/bus direct regular and fast train – adjecent stops on the Scotland – london line), Mansfield (Sutton in Ashfield for Kingsmill hospital) – prob car or slow bus only, Derby (same train line but one stop in opposte direction) etc
    Alot of people I used to work with live around there and takes them 30 mins to drive to M1 J27 and that is with the traffic mentioned above and M1 roadworks at present, SinA would be quicker – of course its easier to get out of a town in rushour than get in as you are heading opposite way to most traffic!
    Also good riding straight from doorstep in Chesterfield, and some of the surrounding villages are quite nice (avoid the area to south around A38 – industrial and old mining legacy)

If she is a pharmacist then Boots are obviously based in Nottingham, would that be a potential employer? Remember though Notts is bringing in the workplace parking tax!

iain1775
    Free Member

also consider that not all trains on the line to Derby through Belper stop at all stations – Cromford for example

ebygomm
    Free Member

If she is a pharmacist then Boots are obviously based in Nottingham, would that be a potential employer? Remember though Notts is bringing in the workplace parking tax!

Only half of Boots site is within the city limits, they're saying they're going to build a multi storey in the Broxtowe half to avoid the parking levy 🙂

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks loads for all this info guys, it is giving me a good picture and is very helpful.

iain1775
    Free Member

Only half of Boots site is within the city limits, they're saying they're going to build a multi storey in the Broxtowe half to avoid the parking levy

Yep and Notts council is up in arms because that means they won't raise the money they need through the tax for the tram extension!
    Well duH what did they expect, major employers and contibuters to the local economy to just roll over and take it?
    Boots will not be the only one's to up sticks or find ways around it, my wifes employers are also considering moving

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Relocating to south end of the Peak District – commuting to towns/cities?’ is closed to new replies.