Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Religionists – what is truth?
  • chip
    Free Member

Again, who sez?
    Did a little voice in your head tell you? Or did you read it in a book? If the former, I would respectfully suggest you get some help, if the latter, then which book and who wrote it? It would almost certainly not be God, unless he/she has a direct input into Word, and wrote it just by thinking at the computer, or there was a human interface, which brings me back to humans hearing voices in their head, and I think we all know the sort of issues that arise when someone says the little voice told them to do something.
    Which often seems to be with extreme prejudice…

I was taking the piss.
    Sorry I thought that that and the fact I do not believe in God was apparent based on both that and my previous posts on this thread.
    But if I was going to take the bible as gospel I would take it that God took the figure of a man indeed as he did in Jesus.
    Why could he not have sent down a Julie to save us from our sins.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also have there been any female prophets

Does Fatima count?

the bible was written by chaps, with over a 100 years between chapters and a ton of rewrites (it used to have dragons and jesus as a kid)

Where’d you read that?

The Bible is a ‘curated’ collection of writings from all over the place over thousands of years. It’s a portable library, and there are lots of other books besides what’s in it.

DaRC_L

A few questions first…
    can you define ‘truth’ & ‘god’.
    By religionists I assume you mean all the Abrahamic religionists (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) not Hinduists, Shintoist, Buddhists (some have gods some don’t) and all the myriad other types of religionists.

Anyway I think it was a chinese quote that said there are 3 truths; your truth, my truth and THE truth

My (far too smart) son would dismiss it all as ‘just a social construct’

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

What if the music is shite? 😛

As for “the truth” I think chewy is alluding to “the big question”. What is it all about? Well, I for one don’t know and don’t intend to waste my time trying to find out, other than to say it’s not actually “about” anything. It just IS.

I am using the word “truth” in the western context or as you understanding it to be because we don’t have such thing …

We just know when wrong is wrong. 😀

Malvern Rider – Member

There are many ways to reach the truth but not all of us get there … not even in the end. i.e. when you die in this life.

OK I’ll bite – what does that even mean? It sounds quasi-mystical and unfocused enough to deserve its own swelling soundtrack! [/quote]

Well, you just need to search that answer yourself. If you don’t get it then you don’t get it. Not the end of the world. I ain’t going tell you where to search coz I ain’t the saviour of the world. 😀

‘the truth’ = God?

Nope. The western narrow interpretation of the “nature of things”.

chip
    Free Member

Does Fatima count?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say no.
    I have read her entire wiki page and what I can work out she is the daughter of a prophet and as such is held in similar esteem as Mary as jesus’s mother, although she trumps Mary and indeed her own mother another woman highly regarded by Islam.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

So the answer is Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber?

I’m Out!

chewkw
    Free Member

surroundedbyhills – Member

So the answer is Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber?

I’m Out!

Who makes more money?

slowoldman

slowoldman – Member
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

What if the music is shite?

[/quote]
    You’re clearly not a Zappa fan or the quotation would be obvious.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Where does Castiel fit into all this, as well as Metatron ?

mrsfry
    Free Member

@molgrips The bible is basically a politicol tool to control the masess. it has been chopped and change during it’s creation.

Why do you think Rome is christianity’s HQ. People back in the day were not that bright (think of plebs and toffs) and feared a heck of a lot of things (comets) Keeping people in check by using the bible (and making money) is a total win.

PS

The translation from varioues texts that is in the current bible is a cut a cut and paste and make do job.

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps, but it’s a lot more complex than you seem to suggest 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

People back in the day were not that bright

how things change…

neilthewheel

only God is truly moral. Amirite?

Only Marmite is truly moral. Amigod?

GrahamS

Only hammerite is truly moral. Amigloss?

mrsfry
    Free Member

So this god chap got Mary ‘in the family way’ and joseph went blind or

Mary and Joseph stopped playing pat-o-cake, then Mary told Joseph about this god chap getting her pregnant, Jospeh took to drinking 110% hooch and went blind.

And god looks pretty much like this (made jesus in his own image)…but shorter (everyone was knee high in those days)

(I must stop drinking)

And people say i’m barking for talking to a six foot rabbit in a top hat 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Religionists – what is truth?’ is closed to new replies.