Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 317 total)
  • Religion in schools
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Because my other Half is a teacher at the school, and sometimes they have problems getting enough adults to supervise the kids on the trips.

As someone who would have previously been against these sort of trips (but without any actual knowledge of them, like most on here) I’ve had my opinion changed by actually seeing what happens and what the children get from it.

Having seen it first hand, I can’t see a single negative in it.

And as I said, that’s from a staunch EX catholic who has no time for religion at all generally.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve had my opinion changed by actually seeing what happens and what the children get from it.

You’ve seen what one group of students gets from it. In other schools, in other contexts, there maybe very different experiences.

Current examples include religious schools redacting questions on evolution in GCSE biology papers, Academy chains with a religious main sponsor where science teachers are pressurised into teaching intelligent design, schools enforcing religious dress codes on female teachers.

mefty
    Free Member

Current examples include religious schools redacting questions on evolution in GCSE biology papers, Academy chains with a religious main sponsor where science teachers are pressurised into teaching intelligent design, schools enforcing religious dress codes on female teachers.

care to link to some primary sources as i smell bullshit except in maybe an odd case which will probably be put in special measures.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    miketually
    Free Member

care to link to some primary sources as i smell bullshit except in maybe an odd case which will probably be put in special measures.

Are these good enough as primary sources?

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2014/03/government-complicit-in-redaction-of-exam-questions-on-evolution

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/mar/09/schools.religion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10322872/Non-Muslim-teachers-forced-to-wear-veil-at-faith-school.html

these are just the high-profile cases that I’m aware of off the top of my head.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Those are hardley representative or the norm.

miketually
    Free Member

Well, that’s ok then 🙄

miketually
    Free Member

How do we feel about, Prayer Spaces in Schools which “enable children and young people to explore faith and spirituality from a broadly Christian perspective in a safe, creative and interactive way”?

It’s an initiative of 24-7 Prayer which “exists to reconcile the world to God in Jesus Christ” who claim that people have been healed of various conditions, including eczema and Chron’s disease in their prayer rooms.

They’re one of many groups going into state schools to push their beliefs offer support to children.

If you live near Bristol, your kids could go on a trip to Noah’s Ark zoo!

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s wrong with studying fairy stories?

miketually
    Free Member

What’s wrong with studying fairy stories?

Nothing at all, provided they’re presented that way, and not as fact.

mefty
    Free Member

I would hope as a teacher you would know what a primary source is, clearly not.

As far as what have you produced is concerned:

(i) The first one is an Orthodox Jewish School in Stamford Hill, one of the two main areas of Orthodox Jews in London. Would I prefer the parents at this school gave their children a better chance at answering exam questions? Yes but who am I, or indeed is the government to determine, how they bring up their children?

(ii) The second is a scare story, long on irrelevant facts but the kids will still be taught evolution.

(iii) This school has been closed down.

The point being that this is not wide spread and is certainly completely alien to what the Church of England has been teaching in schools for years.

seosamh77
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    Well, that’s ok then

I never said that. but you are using extreme cases to vilify a larger group. Which is fairly disingenuous.

miketually
    Free Member

I would hope as a teacher you would know what a primary source is, clearly not.

As a teacher, I finished marking at 9pm and have just got the kids to bed, so can’t be arsed trawling the internet.

you are using extreme cases to vilify a larger group. Which is fairly disingenuous.

I was using those cases to counter an earlier example.

completely alien to what the Church of England has been teaching in schools for years.

Which is what?

miketually
    Free Member

(i) The first one is an Orthodox Jewish School in Stamford Hill, one of the two main areas of Orthodox Jews in London. Would I prefer the parents at this school gave their children a better chance at answering exam questions? Yes but who am I, or indeed is the government to determine, how they bring up their children?

It’s a state-funded school. I think that gives the government some say in what exam questions they should answer in a science exam.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing at all, provided they’re presented that way, and not as fact.

Are there non-faith schools where RE is actually doing this? I mean do we have evidence for real not just STW supposition? It certainly wasn’t like this in our school, and that was 25 years ago.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but who am I, or indeed is the government to determine, how they bring up their children?

I think the govt and we are paying for it [ we are I checked] therefore we all have a say in what facts and truths are taught in THIS school. Let them answer the question anyway they see fit and mark it as we would any other school. if they wish to answer with creationism then let it be marked according to the agreed mark sheet.
    Furthermore parents are not infallible, many of the parents in the closed Islamic school were disappointed , liked it and wanted it to stay open for example

miketually
    Free Member

Are there non-faith schools where RE is actually doing this? I mean do we have evidence for real not just STW supposition? It certainly wasn’t like this in our school, and that was 25 years ago.

Remember, RE is distinct from worship.

My primary school (I left in 1988) had a daily act of collective worship, including hymns and prayer, plus a prayer before lunch was eaten. It wasn’t a faith school, it was a bog standard primary on the edge of a council estate, with no link to a church.

The guidance on what RE/worship should be carried out in all state schools is fascinating:

Collective worship in schools should aim to provide the opportunity for pupils to worship God … All registered pupils attending a maintained school should take part in daily collective worship … , it must in some sense reflect something special or separate from ordinary school activities and it should be concerned with reverence or veneration paid to a divine being or power … ‘Taking part’ in collective worship implies more than simply passive attendance

I don’t think most parents realise that this is a legal requirement in all schools.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Generally speaking RE teachers* believe in much the same way as economists believe in economics and the market
    We get a self selected non representative group of believers doing the teaching [ generally]just as we get generally right wing folk in economics. Not many atheists or commies study the the the thing they dislike and then go on to teach it

* I have nothing more than anecdote and some limited experience – no figures are available that I am aware of but I am prepared to be illuminated by evidence unlike the faith based approach to understanding 😛

mefty
    Free Member

As a teacher, I finished marking at 9pm and have just got the kids to bed, so can’t be arsed trawling the internet.

If you spent less tine posting on here you would probably finish alot earlier.

I was using those cases to counter an earlier example.

Which I presume you think is an extreme case.

Which is what?

Accepted science, maths, humanities and a bit of wishy washy theology.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m getting flashbacks to primary school assemblies!

This was the hymn book. I remember pretending to pick the nose of the lad on the left, and feeding his bogies to him.

I also remember rewording some hymns slightly:

Who built the ark,
    No-one, no-one,
    Who built the ark,
    Bloody no-one built the ark!

🙂

miketually
    Free Member

If you spent less tine posting on here you would probably finish alot earlier.

This is perfect for ten minute breaks.

Which I presume you think is an extreme case.

And?

Accepted science, maths, humanities and a bit of wishy washy theology.

Which includes specific reference to a divine creator.

molgrips
    Free Member

That definition of collective worship is easily vague enough to avoid having to talk about God. Again – in my school, our assemblies were secular.

Generally speaking RE teachers* believe

I said NOT STW supposition. I’m asking for actual evidence that RE in schools is actually Chrstian doctrine presented as fact. Your imaginings don’t help.

miketually
    Free Member

That definition of collective worship is easily vague enough to avoid having to talk about God

How do you do “reverence or veneration paid to a divine being” in a ‘broadly Christian’ way without mentioning God?

Junkyard
    Free Member

That definition of collective worship is easily vague enough to avoid having to talk about God. Again – in my school, our assemblies were secular.

Collective worship in schools should aim to provide the opportunity for pupils to worship God

Its not but some choose to do it less well than others.

I’m asking for actual evidence that RE in schools is actually Chrstian doctrine presented as fact. Your imaginings don’t help.

Nice put down but i dont think the evidence you ask for is available so you can guess either side of that one from anecdotes

mefty
    Free Member

This is perfect for ten minute breaks.

You take alot of ten minute breaks, you should add that up some time.

And?

At least, it is a primary source which you singularly failed to come up with.

Which includes specific reference to a divine creator.

And stuff about other religions, which don’t necessarily believe in a divine creator.

molgrips
    Free Member

How do you do “reverence or veneration paid to a divine being” in a ‘broadly Christian’ way without mentioning God?

Notice the liberal use of the word ‘should’ in the definition.[/quote]

theocb
    Free Member

The priest gave a talk to the kids after the worship at the Hindu Temple yesterday.

One of the main points of the talk was that there is good in everybody, no matter what faith/religion (or lack of either.)
    And that the kids should try hard to nurture the good in themselves and look for the good in others.

At this point I hope the teacher and other sensible adults pointed out that these are the words of a crackpot so take them with a pinch bucket full of salt.

Wise words from loony tunes is hardly a positive experience for school children IMO.

miketually
    Free Member

You take alot of ten minute breaks, you should add that up some time.

1. I don’t
    2. Piss off

At least, it is a primary source which you singularly failed to come up with.

It was one person’s story about one school trip.

And stuff about other religions, which don’t necessarily believe in a divine creator.

In RE, yes. The guidance was describing a compulsory act of Christian worship. They should happen in churches, voluntarily, on Sundays.

Junkyard
    Free Member

All maintained schools must provide religious education and daily
    collective worship for all registered pupils and promote their spiritual, moral and cultural development.
    Local agreed RE syllabuses for county schools and equivalent
    grant-maintained schools must in future reflect the fact that religious
    traditions in the country are in the main Christian whilst taking account of the teaching and practices of other principal religions. Syllabuses must be periodically reviewed.
    Collective worship in county schools and equivalent grant-maintained
    schools must be wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character,
    though not distinctive of any particular Christian denomination.

The should do relates to what they MUST do – its the first page of the article he linked and it is advice on how to do what they must do.

FWIW i got lucky I had not read it either 😉

mefty
    Free Member

1. I don’t
    2. Piss off

As such a disbeliever in religion I would have thought you could cope with reality.

miketually
    Free Member

I know all about my own flaws, thanks. Good still loves me.

poly
    Free Member

It depends what you mean by “RE” – typically there are two distinct activities – one is a lesson like geography or biology or maths. Sometimes referred to as Religious Education or Religious and Moral Education. Typically involves studying a variety of religions, and belief systems.

In contrast however, as the OP referred to, and others including myself (as both pupil of similar vintage to yourself and a parent) I can assure you that Religious Observance is practiced in (some) non-denominational schools. (Indeed as I posted earlier it is expected 6x a year in Scottish Schools). That religious observance typically involves singing of hyms, prayer, bible readings (or telling of bible stories), is often led by a minister of religion and some may be held in churches. These acts of worship are never accompanied by any critical review. Indeed when I challenged our school last year when they talked about “the true meaning of Christmas, and why we give presents” – the theme of such a service I am still waiting to hear back why there was no reference to pre Christian pagan winter festivals which include the exchange of gifts during winter months…

grum
    Free Member

So has anyone come up with any reason why Christianity should be promoted in schools yet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not really but your a very bad man for suggesting it shouldn’t

miketually
    Free Member

So has anyone come up with any reason why Christianity should be promoted in schools yet?

A Hindu said something nice.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We have come a long way from the days when parents complained that their children didn’t get the main part in the nativity play (are we still allowed to mention such things without causing offence) or reading the prayers or lesson!

nealglover
    Free Member

You’ve seen what one group of students gets from it. In other schools, in other contexts, there maybe very different experiences.

There may be other, different personal experiences of kids being taught about other (non Christian) religions in school, but I’ve not heard any here ?

So I only have my own to go on.

I’m not saying everything related to religion in education is perfect.

I was talking specifically about kids being educated about other religions and faiths, rather than only in the “default” Christian religions, as mentioned earlier.

I was using those cases to counter an earlier example

You may think you were.

My point was specifically aimed at the comment that kids don’t get educated about other religions and don’t go to Mosques, temples etc.

And as I said, in my own personal experience, they do.

The examples you raised are not really relevant to the point I was making, and certainly don’t counter it in any way.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s almost like I was scanning the thread rather than reading in depth 🙂

grum
    Free Member

My point was specifically aimed at the comment that kids don’t get educated about other religions and don’t go to Mosques, temples etc.

Yet another straw man.

nealglover
    Free Member

At this point I hope the teacher and other sensible adults pointed out that these are the words of a crackpot so take them with a pinch bucket full of salt.
    Wise words from loony tunes is hardly a positive experience for school children IMO.

Thankfully all the adults there realised that the object of the exercise was to teach the children that different people believe different things, and that’s ok.

The differences are not a reason to dislike or mock people.

Maybe next time you should come along, it’s aimed at 8 year olds, but I’m sure they could slow it down a bit for you.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yet another straw man.

How so ?

I replied and quoted the person that said it.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 317 total)

The topic ‘Religion in schools’ is closed to new replies.