Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Reliable fade-free brakes for fat riders – suggestions
  • rickmeister

I weigh 100kg and use Hope M4 front and back, specifically, 203mm front, 160mm rear

Phenolic pistons not aluminium ones
    Floating discs
    Synthetic 5.1 Stendec brake fluid. (This made the greatest difference.

Ridden in the Alps and over here without any problems… and you can get the pads anywhere as they are the same as shimano’s

HTH

rOcKeTdOg

Re Avid BB7’s for a complete brakeset they aren’t as cheap as you’d expect are they?

last brand new set i bought were £39 an end,came with adaptors for I.S. and post and rotors, i’d say that were cheap

hora
    Free Member

Rocketdog, how long ago though? They all seem circa 50quid each end now.

rOcKeTdOg

Rocketdog, how long ago though? They all seem circa 50quid each end now.

er, now? scroll down for 185mm

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCAVBB7/avid-bb7-mechanical-disc-brake-(mtb)

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Mono M4s for sale & a mate is splitting a bike next week – he’ll have a set of V2s with floating discs for £200ish.

hora
    Free Member

I saw that last night but how much are the calipers/adaptors ontop?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

RD – you need levers and cables on top of that

binners

Got to fit a new BB tonight fella. Got my hammer ready and everyfink. If you fancy a pint later though, I’ll probably need one. As will my bike. Think I’ll take it for a local, pub-based jaunt to check everything’s working. Or not

Riding the Clywdd’s Saturday and Sunday 😀

Hora go for some Avid Elixers. They stop me fine. I think Merlin have got some good deals on those at the moment

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The problem with Avid is that whilst they are good when they are working, they seem to not work more often than most…..

hora
    Free Member

I’ve never liked N.Wales. I’m riding Ladybower tonight if your interested?

binners

You’ve never liked North Wales? Is that because of the ‘incident’ with the Welsh Male Voice Choir, the Miners lamp and the tub of grease.

I promise I won’t let them do that to you again

rOcKeTdOg

Any V brake lever and a brake cable you can get from wilkos for the 99p, surely everyone has an old v brake cable lever un their old parts bin?

BB7s have always been reliable for me

Lakes_Puma

Have you seen that wiggle have saints in the sale at the moment, levers are £80 for pair with hoses and oil and calipers are £70 each.

Not exactly cheap but a good saving on retail.

13thfloormonk

Currently liking my BB7s, as good or near as dammit to any hydraulics I’ve used, although I’m still experimenting with pads that don’t screech in the wet.

Isn’t fade down to pad compound though, unless the BB7 calliper transmits significantly more heat away from the pad then its not going to solve anything is it?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Isn’t fade down to pad compound though

Caused by: friction fade, mechanical fade, or fluid fade says wikipaedo

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Reliable fade-free brakes for fat riders – suggestions’ is closed to new replies.