Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Reliable fade-free brakes for fat riders – suggestions
  • hora
    Free Member

No I can’t afford Shimano Saints for a start.

Looking for good brakes that don’t suffer from fade (yes I drag the rear down a long hill descent)

Don’t cost the earth

Or are finiky.

Suggestions? 🙂

D0NK

Would be cheaper and probably make you a better rider learning not to drag your brakes 🙂 I was a brake dragger but slowly learning not to.

Hope M4s seem drag-able tho.
    Try upping the disc size?

Solo
    Free Member

Step one: Lose weight, its cheaper.

Step two: ride better.

🙂

z1ppy

My Hope M4’s have been faultless for over 4 years & I ain’t no race snake, occasional bleed them when I move them to another bike.

wwaswas

Magura Louise with the Ventidisc rotors.

binners

Get some Avid Elixer’s you great big pie-guzzling porker. They stop me, without fading. Mind you, you do considerably more mincing than me. And you’ve got a great big wobbly planet-head, that i would imagine produces its own gravitational pull, greatly adding to the strain on your brakes

Anyway…. Hang on a minute. Didn’t you change brakes about a month ago? Jesus! It never ends, does it?

Doug
    Free Member

Saints. Buy a front then start saving.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Avid Codes are favoured by Alpine guides for outstanding performance in this area. Were always great on my DH bikes too. Much better than the hopes I replaced them with.

gwj72
    Free Member

Tektro Auriga Pro’s here. Was 15.5 stone and stopped me fine. Stop me better now I’ve lost some weight.

D0NK

Saints. Buy a front then start saving.

for the dentists bill?

takisawa2

Get an extra mount welded on, put a T peice in the rear hydro line & run two calipers on the rear.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Second the Saints – they’re worth the money. Had a quick go on my mates Hopes Tech M4’s and they didn’t come close performance wise.

Cheap – Avid Codes, not as powerful as the saints but pretty good.

binners

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

geordiemick00
    Free Member

On my Cube the Formula the one’s are astoinishing and on my 29er the M4’s are equally as good, I drag my brakes and I’m 18st. I’ve sold my 29er and the M4’s (three months old!) are coming off and will be for sale, 203mm rear and 185mm rear, email me on my email on profile if you’re interested in paying £250 for them 😉

hora
    Free Member

£250 is err alot! I gulped at paying £200 for my rear Chris King/819 rimmed wheel 😯

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’m no lightweight, and neither is my DH bike – Scott Gambler – but the brakes I run on the DH bike are standard XTs with 203mm rotors. They almost managed the whole Pila descent from 2311m to 400m with no stopping. They gave up the ghost with about 200m (trail, not vertical) to go to the road. A quick dunk in a stream, and they were good to go.

I can’t imagine getting brake fade on a UK descent, nor many elsewhere. IME it has to be a loooong downhill with no stopping, so bog standard XT will do me fine.

titusrider
    Free Member

I love my Marta SL’s with 203’s however they dramatically fail your price criteria, second hand?

binners

Erm… is there anyone on here still unfamiliar with the thoroughly Yorkshire-esque vortex of haggling and bartering that is the World of Hora?

The above statement was just a mere aperitif. A playful shot across the bows, if you like

*pulls up a chair, cracks open a can, and wonders how this particular one is going to end*

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ll sell you some Magura Louise FR discs 210mm front & 190mm rear, got some IS adapters for em somewhere too. Either increase your discs to freerad dinner plates or reduce your dinner place to CX sized rotors.

nickf
    Free Member

Hope Moto V2 vented. Not cheap, but they barely get warm on the longest of Alpine descents.

richmtb

Saints really are awesome stoppers. But why not just run bigger rotors?

dropoff

Hayes Stroker Trails, have been powerful reliable and relatively cheap. Available with 203 rotors for 149 of your earth pounds. Bargainous 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Stroker Trails… got a set on the hardtail and they’re ok. Think I have crappy pads in mine though so may be that.

I’ve found the ultimate though Hora is old skool XTs. Flippin brilliant. Or old skool Saints. Same as the XTs. Run them with 203mm/180mm rotors on the Blur with SS Kevlar pads and they’re superb.

Northwind

I’m not fat but I can’t bully my Formula Oros into fading even with epic cowardly brake drag down proper mountains. World cup dh, 2000 metre french fall-line descents, deathgripped :mrgreen:

You could also try different rotors… Just so happens I have a pair of Magura Venti rotors which are supposedly the coolest running rotors out there, 203mm, which I could do you for £30 for one or £50 the two. Since i can’t overheat my brakes with standard rotors, I don’t need em obviously.

fisha
    Free Member

Mono m4s. Pick up a second hand set. Reliable and powerful. I drag my brakes and have had no issues and I’m a Clyde.

Junkyard
    Free Member

have you thought about clogs and just putting your feet down?
    trying to help binners as it seems to be mainly helpful advice here 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Titusrider markhoracekuk AT yahoo.com

Currently 180/180 on Formula K24’s. Could go to 203/203 however the cost is eye watering for Formula’s adaptors and I’m concerned disco’s own aftermarket adaptors/rotors will do the trick withing Formula’s tight tolerance/caliper clearance.

Binners, tomorrow late afternoon/445pm in ladybower for a cheekyfest or Sunday silly early if you fancy lovely stuff there???

Northwind

Shimano adaptors work fine with Oros

RobHilton
    Free Member

Avid BB7s.

Unless cable brakes aren’t cool enough.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I have some 200mm formula rotors and a 220mm formula rotor, but only one IS mount for 200r or 220f. Interested?

_tom_
    Free Member

Avid BB7s.

Unless cable brakes aren’t cool enough.

+1

BB7s are surprisingly good. I could lock up the wheels no problem with mine when I was about 18 stone. On par with Juicy 5 power I’d say, just a bit flexier feel.

hora
    Free Member

Stuart, need post to post front, IS (Frame) to post rear if good?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

‘ave you got the right fork for these brakes Hora?

hora
    Free Member

Fox 36’s

Saccades
    Free Member

Avid BB7s.Unless cable brakes aren’t cool enough.

+2

hora
    Free Member

Re Avid BB7’s for a complete brakeset they aren’t as cheap as you’d expect are they?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You have 3 choices

Magura Louise
    Magura Marta
    Magura Gustav

Gustav will blow your mind and your wallet
    Marta are light and fade free
    Louise are somwhere in between, but still more power than most will ever need

I have 4 sets of Louises

I was sold on Magura when I first tried then 5 years ago. And that set is still running perfectly.

hora
    Free Member

Why do Magura! persist! with the use of exclamation marks? 😐

jedi

hope v2

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Reliable fade-free brakes for fat riders – suggestions’ is closed to new replies.