Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Reliable Dropper Post Options
  • phinbob

Got a new bike (woo hooo).

Now it needs a dropper post. I’ve used Gravity Droppers on my last two bikes, and although aesthetically they are ugly, they just seem to work. Plus I like the serviceability and ‘made by a small company in a shed’ ethos.

But they don’t come in 31.6 without a shim.

So, it there anything as reliable as a Gravity Dropper out there? Or should I put my slipping post voiding-warranty fears aside and get another GD?

The bike is a Kona Hei Hei Trail, if that makes any difference.

thegreatape
    Free Member

But they don’t come in 31.6 without a shim.

They do direct from GD.

Northwind

I have a KS and 2 Reverbs, tbh they’ve all been good. The KS is pretty old now, it needed a fair amount of rebuilding after a couple of years, but that was nonstop use, year round in scotland so hard times. The repair was £75 so not too onerous. It’s had new cables but that’s simple stuff (it used to be that the KS OEM cable was absolutely awful, I think they’ve stopped doing that)

The Reverbs are more niggly I find, the bigger deal is that when they stop working there’s nothing you can do- no manual adjustment, no easy repairs. My KS, there’s a wee lever so I can manually operate it even with no cable, which was good when I crashed and broke the lever in France. And if you snap a cable, every bike shop in the world can fix it. They’re still reliable, but I don’t like depending on them as much. And parts and servicing are pisstakingly expensive, if you break the (suspiciously delicate and exposed) lever it costs a fortune to replace, dick move Rockshox…

OTOH, I bought the Reverbs because they were cheap in the first place.

I really rate my GD but there’s no replacement for displacement, I’ve got 150mm drop posts on 2 bikes so even 125mm is noticably less, 100mm I just don’t like any more.

phinbob

@thegreatape – Thanks! – I read the blurb on their site which said

“Sizes available- 26.8, 27.0, 27.2 and 30.9 Shims available for larger Posts “

But if you go to order there is a 31.6 no shim option. Sorted.

@Northwind – thanks for the reply – I’m a short @rse and I think that 100mm will actually do me nicely (will need to look at what I ordered last time).

Cheers all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Reliable Dropper Post Options’ is closed to new replies.