Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Reliable Bike
  • swan0mighty
    Free Member

Hi

I currently have a 2011 genesis core 40 (8 months old) and its not been the most reliable bike for me.

Its already needed a headset, cassette, chain, chain repaired, brakes, rear wheel and now the front wheel bearing and BB bearings are both ruff

The bike is used for road 10 mile round trip commute and local trails

Im thinking of changing the bike for something more reliable, could anyone recommend something? I think i should be looking for a bike that uses sealed bearing through out,

Looking a grand max but less is better

Bike will need to be able to handle the 7stanes, local trails and road commute

Thanks

sambob
    Free Member

It’d be cheaper to just change the various components for something more reliable.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

With my helpful hat on:

Things like chains, cassettes, BB’s, brake pads wear out: sometimes alarmingly quickly. The good news is that means you’re riding it lots!

I do have sympathy for the headset thing though – my first “proper” mtb was a GT Avalanche and that could chew up a headset in 4 weeks – it was a piss poor unsealed design.

I’d recommend what I did (who wouldnt?) – buy a book about maintenance, get some basic tools and learn how to fix / upgrade yourself. You’ll probably still want a new bike at the end of it – but at least you’ll have learnt a lot!

cynic-al
    Free Member

8 months = 1800 miles, 1 chain ain’t too bad, brake pads ditto.

wet weather commuting without mudguards = trashed headset.

what killed the rear wheel?

Learn to service the bike, or buy something more appropriate for commuting.

Mugboo

You get what you pay for.

If you like the way the frame looks and handles then keep replacing the cheapo kit with quality. Or cut your losses and buy something else

swan0mighty
    Free Member

thanks for the replys

upgrading parts is an option but everything is so expensive, i was just wondering if anyone could suggest a complete bike that would be more reliable so i could way up the options

lordjenks
    Free Member

Just about everything there is branded, at the same sort of price point you wont find higher level of kit (which is more reliable to a point).
    Are you riding the kit too hard above its intended use or just not maintaining it?
    Its not really genesis’s fault as nothing that has gone wrong is theirs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Reliable Bike’ is closed to new replies.