Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Reliable 27.2mm dropper post?
  • lardman
    Free Member

So, i have a Reverb on my FS, and like it alot. Wanted to have one on my HT for a while now, but waited until there were more options than a few years back.
    Whats the most reliable dropper for 27.2mm size?

I need no fuss or constant bleeding/compressing etc:
    Strong seatpost head attachment, as i had an old Maverick which was pants and always moved/bent. (the Reverb is plenty good enough (but alas not in 27.2mm))

Dont mind a lever under the saddle if it means a reliable post. Prefer remote tho’.

4″ drop is fine, and does not have to be too long overall as my frame has a reasonable seat tube extension.

whats the STW massive recommend?

Ta.

clubber
    Free Member

My Hilo has been fine so far…

IHN

My HiloGravity Dropper has been fine so far…

kimbers

gravity dropper

stevede
    Free Member

My Hilo has been faultless so far after a harsh winter of use, i really would like a 125mm drop 27.2 post and was excited to hear that Thomson were working on one…..and then i saw that the rrp was expected to be upwards of £350 which is beyond ridiculous imo. I got my Hilo from wiggle for a good price, it’s not quite a Reverb but it’ll do.

roverpig

With those requirements it has to be a gravity dropper. It’s not pretty but it must be one of, if not the, most reliable posts out there. There just isn’t much to go wrong. The two-bolt seatpost clamp is also better than many.

binners

The Hilo does what its meant to with no fuss, and was a bargain at £140 from Wiggle. I wacked another couple of psi in it last week after using it constantly with no problems, through an outstandingly filthy northern winter

lardman
    Free Member

ok, thats good thanks…
    any more?

I have seen ‘some’ reports of bending on the Hilo (only anecdotal ones tho’) . I’m a biffer, so thats a consideration for me. Strong enough you reckon?

nickjb
    Free Member

All of the 27.2mm droppers are pretty skinny with all the gubbins. Even the fabled Gravity Dropper cracks around the holes. I’d be a bit wary if you are a larger gentleman. Its probably just a case of keeping an eye on it and catching and failure early.

Northwind

I just sold my Gravity Dropper, which I’ve been using nonstop for I think 3 years, all year round, it’s never missed a beat. Well, I broke a clamp bolt one time but that’s more a seatpost failure than a dropper failure if you know what I mean. It had a new set of shims and a new gaiter at one point, which cost about a tenner. Oh, for maximum reliability go with a single position- the multi-drop ones wear their top bushing faster and quite a few break at the middle hole.

Excellent bit of kit.

binners

As a fellow porker, I’d say a hilo would take some serious bending. Its a substantial feeling bit of kit! I’ve not managed it and I combine my rotund bulk with an inept clumsiness that would make Norman Wisdom look like a heart surgeon

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Have you considered a TMARS as the cheap option? Not fit and forget but they are only a spring and a cable operated catch so most ham fisted monkeys should be able to strip, oil and rebuild when necessary. Mine is the older version and I’ve had issues with the cable but the latest version seems to address that. I’d buy one again as I don’t think the seatpost should be the most expensive component of my bike!

lardman
    Free Member

I reckon i might go down the Hilo route, as it’s quite considerably cheaper than the GD.
    Cheers to the recommendation Binners, good to know there’s someone with real ‘form’ to have have use one.

So, it looks like the only Hilo with the ‘two bolt’ style clamp is the 100mm version? is that right? The barrel type seat clamps have been rubbish IME in the past.

binners

I’d recommend putting plenty of grease on the seat clamp area as soon as you get it. As you’ve noted, its not the best design in the world, so you need to tighten it right up. I was paranoid about it seizing, but with plenty of grease in, its ben no bother. Recently put a new seat on with no issues

scottfitz
    Free Member

I have broken both a gravity dropper and a Forca. I’m going to try a Hilo next see if I can break that too.

Northwind

Anything can break though- I broke a Thomson, a Kore and an FSA seatpost before I moved onto KS and Gravity Dropper. Oh and a Nukeproof since.

clubber
    Free Member

Another heavy’un on a hilo and I’ve not bent it (yet – never say never…)

smurfly13
    Free Member

A better version of the tmars (another gravity dropper copy) is the Satori Sorata Pro, or Raleigh RSP Plummet as same post!

Metal internal guides, not plastic and feels solid…. But that’s on a budget as some £50 cheaper than the Hilo (which was my second choice!)

falkirk-mark

17 stone and used a hilo for last 3 years with a squirt of GT85 on the post and cycle it up and down a couple of times after a wet ride. No issues or other maintenance (although I have only used the lever as it gets used on different bikes so remote would be a faff)

lardman
    Free Member

Ok, thanks everyone, i’ll check out some that i have not heard of before, but thanks to the biffer validations from ‘Clubber and Binners’ i’ll be likely to opt for the Hilo.

fingers crossed I don’t bend it.

rOcKeTdOg

Had gravity dropper for 18 months, used constantly, serviced once which took 15 mins & it’s still works like New, ugly as sin but I’d rather have reliability & no having to send back for warranty work than looks

tomfun

Hilo for me. Used mine for 2yrs solid without fault. It is away for repair at the moment as it drops 2/3cm at full extension but I think a nasty crash is the root cause of this as a home service & rebuild has not fixed it. It’s also a doddle to change the oil.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Reliable 27.2mm dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.