Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Reliability and durability of push-fit bottom brackets….
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

Anyone got anything to say or any advice to give on the reliability and durability of push fit bottom brackets?

Thanks in advance,
    SB

weeksy

Red lots of horror stories so bought a PF converter to standard threaded BB, got a cheap Rose Bikes XTR in there and have for a reasonable time period now, it’s quiet as a mouse even through this winter.

LoCo
    Free Member

From mates in the trade, not good, but it also depends on which brand of frame they’re in some french ones are appaling allegedly 😉

Kryton57

Any difference between Mountain and road bikes? ie, is the shite on the trails or general use that makes them short lived / unreliable?

MrGreedy

weeksy – Member
    Red lots of horror stories so bought a PF converter to standard threaded BB

Sounds interesting – where from/how much?

weeksy
    andrewh
    Free Member

Red lots of horror stories so bought a PF converter to standard threaded BB

Sounds interesting – where from/how much?

I would be interested too. Are they just for BB30 or would they fit others? XTR bearings press straight into one of my frames, not a BB30 but have no idea what it’s called, would love to be able to fit a King HT11 to it. Would the frame be too wide though, it’s about as wide as the outside of the cups on an HT11.
    [EDIT] Beaten to it, and no it won’t fit.

FuzzyWuzzy

The one in my French bike has been fine since I replaced the OEM one, the issue was water in the seat tube/BB shell not the BB itself. The major downside I’ve read but not experienced is when the BB is too loose in the shell and can turn freely, seems to affect Boardman road bikes and Spesh MTBs mostly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Looking at it locically (Jim…..) thre’s no reason press fit, in itself, should be any less reliable than HT2, is there?
    It’s the bearings that matter, not what’s holding them to the frame, yes?
    And, after all, we use press fit headsets don’t we? And nobody complains about those.

And, of course, press fit offers some distinct advantages when you sit down and think about it.
    No cross threading
    Easier and faster to remove with less chance of getting it wrong, as you just bosh them in, they aren’t ‘sided’
    And if one bearing wears out more than another, you can move it over to the other side!

I would, however, LOVE to see a complete ‘Guide to Press fit BBs’ showing all the different types and sizes, what’s interchangeable and what tool you need to remove them 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, cheaper to produce as well….oh wait, they don’t pass that ‘benefit’ on to the consumer….

Prices are crazy compared to normal thread in HT11 cups.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Reliability and durability of push-fit bottom brackets….’ is closed to new replies.