Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Relentless training for an elite athlete newbie biker.
  • JF69
    Free Member

Hi Guys, I’m a newcomer to the sport and joined this forum looking for some advice from some seasoned professionals.

Here’s my story.

I’m transferring from another sport at which I competed at the highest level internationally albeit after a 2 year lay-off due to injury and have set myself a target. I have entered the Relentless 24 on 9 October. In preparation I have spent £5000 on kit including a rigid titanium van Nicholas with rigid forks, sidi shoes and assoss clothing. So I’m pretty much ready to go. Unfortunately, as I’m new to the sport, I am unfamiliar with the training methods used to prepare for such an event. I had planned on going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week to use the exercise bike before going out on my actual bike a couple of weeks before the event for maybe 50 miles at a time on the road. Would this be OK?

Thanks for all your help in advance guys. I really appreciate it!

JF

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Advice given will depend on what you want to achieve. I'm guessing that given your background you'll want to podium.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Im not actually a high level rider however i think its as simple as ride ride ride ride ride ride. Then ride some more.

If you want to do weights i would do maybe 1 or 2 sessions a week but save that for winter.

The fastest people ive seen local to me are time triallers. Take of that what you want.

robhughes
    Free Member

spent £5000 and now want,s to know what to do……mmmmmm.
    bit strange

JF69
    Free Member

I'm a fairly impetuous man Rob. Also, weights are definitely a no go after what happened the last time I undertook a routine. But, I can definitely take on board your advice about just plugging on. It cant be that hard, surely!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No substitute for miles on the bike. It will get you out from under your bridge as well

sc-xc

I had planned on going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week to use the exercise bike before going out on my actual bike a couple of weeks before the event for maybe 50 miles at a time on the road. Would this be OK?

I reckon that would do it. Maybe not too many 50 milers, as you would be exhausted leading up to the event. As long as you have some powerade or similar, you would probably get by with a couple of spin classes.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

What event did you compete in?

yunki
    Free Member

I put £5 on this guy being talkemada

JF69
    Free Member

I competed over 26.2 miles. I would always aim to run 2 or 3 marathons in a season and ended up with a PB of 2.14 at the end of my career.

DT78
    Free Member

I'll bite.

You could do alot worse than spend a bit more and buy this –
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27821

rs
    Free Member

you spent 5k on gear and didn't even get suspension, you've been had 😉

Waderider
    Free Member

Nice troll.

You made a mistake, you should have bought two bikes – you need a road bike to train on also.

(P.S. you joined the wrong forum – this one is for keyboard warriors who do a bit of mountain biking on the side)

sc-xc

I competed over 26.2 miles. I would always aim to run 2 or 3 marathons in a season and ended up with a PB of 2.14 at the end of my career.

Smee would have lapped you.

JF69
    Free Member

Who the hell is smee?!

jimmyshand
    Free Member

You are. And I claim my £5.

Woody
    Free Member

🙄 poor effort JF69. A decent troll has to have at least some ring of truth.

keavo
    Free Member

smee…mint:-)
    email frazer to see if tyou can ride the event on your spinning bike. can't be that hard can it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A former international level athlete asks for training advice on a forum?

TROLL or muppet.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I think the big mistake was the bike, a top end Scott would have bee more believable as a troll.

warton
    Free Member

troll all day long. why spend 5k on a rigid bike. why van nicholas if you know nothing about the sport?
    poorly thought out and executed..

wwaswas

JF69 if you're not a troll then telling us who you really are isn't going to do any harm and you might end up with better advice as a result.

In essence the best way to get fit to ride a bike is to ride a bike. Same principle as running – but you knew that anyway.

vinnyeh

Smee would have lapped you.

Probably, he wouldn't have been able to stop himself til he'd been at least twice round.

I can smell Smee on this thread, but thought he was another poster, not the op, I'm wondering if he's got two logons to prepare for the inevitabe

Marge
    Free Member

How tall are you?
    (I'm planning on getting an early bid in for the frame 🙂 )

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I've podiumed both times I've done relentless.

All I do is ride my bike all summer, add in some running in winter and that's it. Gyms aren't ever going to be in my training plan.

swiss01
    Free Member

i've crashed out, bonked and got sick each time i've done relentless. gyms were never in my training plan either. if only i could've got the tyre choice right. and ridden a rigid…

njee20
    Free Member

If this is serious… don't go to the gym, ride your bike instead, it'll be more worthwhile, don't save that until a few weeks before.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Pump up your tyres to 120psi too, it's definitely faster off road

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Mumsnet troll?

molgrips
    Free Member

Troll, and a pretty funny one too I must say 🙂

bikerbruce
    Free Member

you spent 5 grand on a sport your clueless of on a singlespeed…..as always runners proving their "brains".
    email me at bikerbruce@hotmail.co.uk if you want training advice if you send me your goals etc…
    Bruce

MrNutt
    Free Member

have you tried parking on motorway bridges and quietly talking to yourself, its what most of us do.

slowjo
    Free Member

have you tried parking on motorway bridges and quietly talking to yourself,

😛

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Relentless training for an elite athlete newbie biker.’ is closed to new replies.