Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Release date for Tiagra hydro brakes?
  • scud
    Free Member

Recently got my old Salsa Fargo powdercoated and updating it from 9 speed commuting duties to 10 speed, been running BB7’s but 100 mile Dorset Gravel Dash showed their limitations. Was going to either look at Hope V-twin system or TRP hydros, but knowing how good Shimano hydro brakes have been on road bike, I have thought the new Tiagra hydraulic STI’s would fit the bill, trouble is release date was supposed to be July 2016.

Anyone know when they are coming out?

cdoc
    Free Member

Was wondering the same. Madison have them listed, but the price seems way off at the moment.
    http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/transmission-braking-components/brakes/st-rs405-hydraulic-disc-brake-mechanical-sti-set-with-rs405-callipers-pair/

The 105 rs505 version is listed at 499 and retails at about £290, so I would expect the tiagra rs405 version to be about 250 a pair when they do turn up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In stock now. £450rrp.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks all, price seems high when you can pick up the excellent RS685 for about £280 now.

Hopefully some cheaper OEM ones will start to pop up

atlaz
    Free Member

And the RS685 aren’t, in the parlance of yoof, gopping. The 105 and Tiagra hydro shifters are utterly repulsive. Not even so ugly they’re sort of nice. Just plain ugly.

IHN

FWIW, you can massively improve your BB7s by using the commpressionless outer/cables that Charlie The Bikemonger sells.

Got to be worth spending £20ish in that before ten times as much on hydro brakes.

timbur
    Free Member

But they’ll still be BB7s and will give up braking for no good reason when you need them one day!
    (I blinkin hate them)
    Tim
    Shimano all the way!

scud
    Free Member

Trouble is getting the 11 speed RS 685 to work with MTB rear mech?

My understanding was that 10speed STI’s will work with 9 speed MTB rear mech, so have XT rear mech and chain set, plus 10 speed 105 front mech.

simondbarnes

Has the Salsa Fargo got flat mount disc mounts? The Tiagra hydraulics are only available flat mount AFAIK.

scud
    Free Member

Can you not get around flat mount using adaptors?

Mk1 Fargo, so IS mount brakes

simondbarnes

Can you not get around flat mount using adaptors?

No

STATO
    Free Member

That’s a good point, tiagra are Flat mount only. Should be able to use an MTB post mount caliper (same size pistons?) but youd need to make sure it had the same hose connection as I think that’s added incompatibility/faff also.

pryally
    Free Member

use a wolftooth tanpan and roadlink to run rs685/785 with xt/slx (11 speed) rear mech..

scud
    Free Member

Thinking Hope V Twin may be way to go then, ultimately will work out cheaper as I have all 10 speed stuff here ready to go.

ransos
    Free Member

My understanding was that 10speed STI’s will work with 9 speed MTB rear mech, so have XT rear mech and chain set, plus 10 speed 105 front mech.

The new Tiagra 10speed has the same pull ratio as 11 speed, so will not be backwards compatible with your setup. AIUI.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Release date for Tiagra hydro brakes?’ is closed to new replies.