Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Relative defrauded by false ebay scam – what to do?
  • alaslas
    Free Member

Bit of advice requested from the good people here –

Today I found out my mum’s been scammed of £3000 after being hooked into a false advert for a caravan. She replied to a classified ad on a legit site, but was then given a shaggy dog type story that led to her being referred to a fake ebay site where she was subsequently persuaded to part with the money by bank transfer (last week). They used ebay graphics on emails and confidence tricked her into thinking that she was paying into a ‘Buyer Protection’ holding account.

She had alarms bells ringing but was too caught up in the sale to turn back. I’ve been through the process of reporting it to the police and action fraud with her, but the bank says it’s not going to do anything, as there’s no insurance on bank transfers and in their eyes it’s her fault rather than fraud.

What to do? I’m so angry on her behalf!

easygirl

If it is the classic ebay fraud, the money will be virtually untraceable, probably in a foreign bank
    Action fraud will look at it, but they only look at larger type organised frauds I think.
    It’s horrible but I would prepare your mum for losing her money

easygirl

Do you know what account it was paid into, acc number and name?
    Was it in this country?

alaslas
    Free Member

Yep, full bank details were provided and it was a London branch. Next step, I’m saying she should go to her bank (and/or their bank) and talk it over face to face with a manager.

easygirl

If you have the bank details, I would speak to the bank , and get back on to the police or action fraud.
    You have a traceable line of enquiry, it is usually up,to the bank to refund, then they will complain to the police re the fraud, but in this case, if theybare stating they are not at fault(tend to agree with them)
    It’s down to law enforcement, although I suspect the account details will be either false, or in a false name and the money will have been transferred abroad
    Good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Relative defrauded by false ebay scam – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.