• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rejuvenating an old favourite… A nice feeling!
  • mboy
    Free Member

Ooooh, I'm all warm inside! Finished rebuilding this last night after it was left languishing in the garage for about 6 months, having given up quite a lot of its components for other builds, or having been sold on to pay for something else…

It's a Genesis Altitude 853 frame that I bought and built up originally about 18 months ago, then rode the arse off it for a year. Ended up falling out with the Maverick SC32 forks I had on it a little bit (mainly cos the "QR" was a faff to be honest), sold them on recently, found some NOS Revelations for a bargain on ebay, bought some Hope hoops, some new brake levers, some cheap summer Michelins from On One, and here we are…

Not sure on the weight, but it's a bit lighter than before. Previously it was just on 26lb, I suspect with some light tyres (those Michelin's are the 2.3 version, they're over 700g each) and the XTR rear mech I've got somewhere to go on it, could get it down to about 24lb or therabouts. Maybe might require a lighter stem, seatpost and saddle too to do that, but anyway… Not really that fussed. It's pretty light (plenty enough for me!), yet strong enough for a bit of abuse, and it always rode nicely anyway. Just had a spin up and down the road on it so far, first impressions are that the taller Rockshox has slowed the steering mildly (but mind you, so have those tyres on the road, they're grippy!) so I might end up reducing the travel to 115-120mm on them, but otherwise, business as usual and all good fun… Now to ride it again this weekend!

More pics, including as it was previously built, here…

EDIT: Apologies for the weeds in the patio, it's a rented house… And apologies for the crappy MBUK chainstay protector, it was free and is almost illegible now!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Really nice, aesthetics would be even better with fewer spacers under the stem, but otherwise it looks great. Love the R sticker on the silver frame.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

SLX cranks and silver forks look very nice on it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Not convinced you'll hit 24lbs with a steel framed bike and that build though.
    😕

tang
    Free Member

we are adding to ians pain atm with nice steels! was going to be up with you guys on friday, but no can do. im off most fridays tho.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

****……18 months old and it's an old favourite…..?!

I've barely got my head round a new bike in that time let alone bought it, abandoned it, rebuilt it and rediscovered it! I was expecting something retro!

V v nice looking piece of kit though

mboy
    Free Member

****……18 months old and it's an old favourite…..?!

Was meant slightly tongue in cheek to be fair, seeing as there's so many serial bike changers on here. An old favourite to some people would be a bike they rode 3 times! Anyway… This frame got ridden, quite a lot, then combination of forks needing servicing, wheel bearings collapsing, brake pads wearing out and a couple of other bits of maintenance all needing doing at the same time (in winter), I built up a bike with an Alfine hub… Which was so good it's been ridden loads, and the Genesis was kinda just left gathering dust in the garage. Until now…

Really nice, aesthetics would be even better with fewer spacers under the stem

Yes, but the bars would be too low then, and the steerer very short. Could buy higher bars of course, but I prefer the look of lower rise ones, and cutting a steerer tube on forks is a no-no IMO cos it makes them impossible to sell later on.

SLX cranks and silver forks look very nice on it.

Fair enough, I was worried cos they're a different shade of silver to the frame though, and the SLX cranks… Well I was thinking of swapping them for the XT's on my other bike to keep the silver thing going perhaps. Not sure now though.

Not convinced you'll hit 24lbs with a steel framed bike and that build though.

Not sure I can be bothered to be fair, but as it was previously it was 26lb, and the new wheels are quite a bit lighter and the forks are a touch lighter too.

we are adding to ians pain atm with nice steels! was going to be up with you guys on friday, but no can do. im off most fridays tho.

hehehe. I've been trying not to laugh at his misfortune, but well… He was lucky enough to find a mint Ti Inbred 29er for a good price, he can suck this one up! 😉

Shame you're not coming Friday though, you missed a damned fine ride Saturday too! Soon though no doubt…

tang
    Free Member

i know! went out on sat evening…dry. ian and i were out on monday, i was slipping all over the place!

eckinspain
    Free Member

Oi – that's my bike!
    I've had mine for about a year and I really love it now!

Notter
    Free Member

Very nice (apart from the MBUK chainstay protector 😉 )

elliptic
    Free Member

Satisfying isn't it?

New fork, wheels, drivetrain, lovely crisp new-bike feeling.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Arrrgggghhhh all these steel bikes look sh1t! 😈

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i opened this thread with some trepidation thinking it might be your maverick

khani
    Free Member

did it to this 6 months ago, new forks, 5.3 rockers, wheels, brakes, bars, stem, saddle (it now has a brown sdg rl) 03 frame, rides lovely :mrgreen:

mboy
    Free Member

Arrrgggghhhh all these steel bikes look sh1t!

Don't moan, you've got a ti mate! 😉

i opened this thread with some trepidation thinking it might be your maverick

Errrrr… cough* That's next *cough… 😳

Been a bit skint, least the Mav only needs new wheel bearings and new brakes to get it up and running now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rejuvenating an old favourite… A nice feeling!’ is closed to new replies.