• This topic has 47 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by deft.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Rejoining the Army
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I spent 5 years in the Army from 18 till 23 when I was medically discharged after breaking my tib, fib,rupturing my Acl and fracturing my neck of femur and having a chs. All sustained in a motorbike accident. Since then I have become a qualified nurse and as much as I love my job I always have that niggly feeling of wanting to go back in, but this time as a Nurse. Mum said apply see if they accept you medically. So I did last year, they deferred me because I was awaiting knee surgery.

I got a phone call to say come in for a interview. Would you say go for it or is it a stupid idea being 28?

Junkyard
    Free Member

28 is hardly old and you seem to have an itch you need to scratch

IMHO attend the interview and see what happens you only have to make an actual decision if you get accepted and the actual decision is some time away.

when it comes you will have more info and have had more time to think

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I must admit my fitness isn’t the best due to last years injury. When I first joined I did a 1.5 mile run in 10 mins 15 seconds. It would probably take 15 mins now. How can I ease myself back into running without having a heart attack.

timidwheeler

Go for it, it’s now or never.
    Good luck.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Do it. Blokes in their mid thirties in my platoon during training. The only caveat on them was no infantry IIRC. Plus you’ve still got 5yrs on them…. Good luck!

ButtonMoon

Make sure you’re happy with all the financial changes that are coming in 2015.
    New pension etc.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Climbing kev what age will I serve till? Is it up to the age of 55? My missus wont be happy. Havent told her yet!!!

hora
    Free Member

Why not go back as a TA?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Have you thought of the RN as a medical tech ?
    You can always go green via a RM attachment and the all arms course!

redfordrider
    Free Member

Joining the Reserves would be a good option as you may be fast tracked through phase 1 training – depending on when you left. 28 is definitely not too old to sign up as a regular.

parkesie
    Free Member

As people have said have a look at the reserves might fit in better with your missus. 1st thing to do is discuss it with your missus then see a army carears or have you thought about the raf?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Do what Hora suggested and go the TA route. If you’re still up for it then go regulars.

passtherizla
    Free Member

loads of mates have gone back in recently… they did get a fairly healthy fee to come back though.

Scamper
    Free Member

RAF could be an option especially if you like champagne and fine hotels. 😀

My Wife is an RAF Nurse and after being in the TA didn’t join until she was 26, half way through nurse training. Obviously the possibility of moving around you will have to discuss with your Better Half but butter her up with the generous time served bonus. We’ve been in the same location for 5 years. Where ever you are stationed you could spend a fair bit of time working in the NHS as well doing military stuff.

noteeth
    Free Member

The Grey Mafia! 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I got a phone call to say come in for a interview. Would you say go for it or is it a stupid idea being 28?

Not at all. I applied for RAF Reg at 34 for officer training. Running injuries (ironically from the TA) kept me out. I’m 38 now and still want to scratch that itch – if I can ever sort injuries out I’ll look again at the TA (although realistically I’m resigned to it not happening).

As most above have said – what about reserves? RN and RAF have all been doing work in the field on ops too, so I would hazard a guess that it’ll be interesting whatever you do.

Otherwise go for the interview – you can always say no.

barkm
    Free Member

follow your gut instinct, what’s the worst that can happen?..I’ll tell you. You wake up the wrong side of 40 without the luxury of time to ponder over such decisions as the opportunity has gone, you’re just left living with the regret 🙁

I had 10 amazing years in the Army, left at 28. I was too stupid then to realise how much of an opportunity I had. Regretted it ever since.

Good luck!

climbingkev
    Free Member

I think 55 was the standard age for pension calculations. You’ll still be entitled to full term pension if you serve your 16/22yrs (Officer/Soldier), many go beyond this. There’s been loads of changes since I left with regards to the pension, the scheme was split in to whilst I was still serving and an offer to transfer made to everyone……..no thanks! The new scheme is still good though. The big difference being you don’t actually pay into the Army scheme out of your salary, unlike my current Firefighters one which is far less attractive and costs £350, soon to be £400ish a month.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Ditto that barkm, It’s not a regret as a whole, but there’s bags I miss!

Duffer
    Free Member

The reserves are crying out for people all the time.

If you do decide to go regular, then i’d consider the other Services too. I can’t speak for the other two but the RAF nurses are on a time promotion to SNCO, and loads are seconded into civvi hospitals anyway (just getting paid more and working less).

kimbers

the question is do you fancy being sent to the crimea?

footflaps

the question is do you fancy being sent to the crimea? Scotland

If they get a No vote come September, I reckon it will be the next war zone. AS dressed as Braveheart leading the SNP down the M74 to take on rUK….

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’d consider the Raf but that would be two applications at once. Always wanted to go back in the regulars. AndiI’m a bit concerned with some aspects of my current civvie life.

1981miked
    Free Member

Definitely go for it mate, you will only regret it if u don’t. My only real regret I’d not re-applying for the Marines when I was younger. Passed all the tests, did my PRMC and passed, went in to careers office on my return to get the joining info and was taken aside and told the doctor had made an error on the paperwork. Nothing they could do apart from advise me to reapply.

Still have the itch to scratch but a dodgy shoulder and knees would put the marines out for sure. Considering the RN reserves though.

Go for it mate.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Always wanted to go back in the regulars.

Even in the reserves, I think you’ll be whisked off somewhere warmer as soon as you’ve got through basic (in the current political climate). 😉

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Got my interview for Wednesday 2nd of April, this doesn’t bother me. What does bother me is how I approach the subject with work and my partner. Partner quite sternly says no.

Also how can I get my running improved, I need to get under 14 mins on the 1.5 run. I’ve not done any running what so ever in 6 years. I mountain bike but not done any since January.

Duffer
    Free Member

Also how can I get my running improved, I need to get under 14 mins on the 1.5 run. I’ve not done any running what so ever in 6 years. I mountain bike but not done any since January.

There’s only one way to get good at running…

1.5 miles in 14 mins works out to a 9:20 pace. If you have any level of base fitness whatsoever, you’ll easily be able to achieve that with a couple of months training.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Fitness can be good for a smoker. Well my Mtb fitness was quite good before knee surgery. Usually takes me a month build it back up.

deft
    Free Member

Capita are running the recruiting show now, so you’ll probably have a good few months to train while they’re busy losing your paperwork. Best thing I found was sets of 400m and 800m intervals.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Aye I thought it was different. It used to be application, barb test, interview, selection,interview, take your oath and phase 1. Should I just concentrate on trying to run two miles then try to get the 1.5 miles time down to a respectable time.

deft
    Free Member

You could do Couch to 5k, aiming for an 8min/mile pace – then you’re basically doing two back-to-back 12min 1.5 milers by the end. Some interval training a few weeks before the real thing would help to get it down even further after that.

Probably a good idea to keep a training diary though, as they sometimes ask for one if you have some sort of past injury.

ratherbeintobago

Do you need to redo basic if you’ve been out 5y?

Have you thought of the RN as a medical tech ?

It’d be QARNNS.

meehaja
    Free Member

If you’re a nurse then it’s officer time for you! I’m in the process of rejoining the reserves in a non medical role as I fancy something completely different! As a reserve you volunteer to deploy rather than get sent and from joining to ready to deploy takes a few years normally anyway.

My wife isn’t keen, but understands my need to “play out” I plan to up my commitment and then look for a safe deployment where family can come too (Cyprus/canada/ uk training roles etc).

As for running, I’m a fatty, map a mile and a half and run/ walk as fast as possible at least thrice a week, working up distance rather than time, as a cyclist I found it was legs not lungs that let me down but I’ve dropped from 17 mins to 13 in just a few weeks of training, though I am struggling with the upper body strength a bit!

ratherbeintobago

If you’re a nurse then it’s officer time for you!

Not necessarily. IIRC the requirements for a commission are two years’ full nursing registration and an AIB (or equivalent) pass

climbingkev
    Free Member

The RAMC officers I knew were either docs or had no med background at all. In the Corps most officers jobs are pretty similar; HR, admin and logistics in one guise or another. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go that way, I’d recommend it in fact. But as a non doc with pips on your should you won’t do much hands on med stuff. If you want to keep building on you med skills the soldier ranks is the way to go…. And you’ve already got a head start. If you fancy putting another string in the bow take a look at the officer route.

ratherbeintobago

The RAMC officers I knew were either docs or had no med background at all.

Yes, but he’s talking about joining the army as a nurse, not as an RAMC MSO. This’d mean QARANC.

climbingkev
    Free Member

I know nothing of the structure of of QARANC!? Would there be opportunities to nurse in an officer role? Sounds like a win win to me!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah will definitely be QARANC as a soldier. Id do my basic training then my rank would be acting corporal so £26,868 for two years then Seargeant. Too old to be an officer.

ratherbeintobago

Too old to be an officer.

Army website says the age limit is 39.

climbingkev
    Free Member

There were mid thirties blokes in my platoon at Sandhurst. No harm in investigating? If you don’t want to take that route then fair play. But, if you’re not totally adverse to the idea, why close a door?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Rejoining the Army’ is closed to new replies.