Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Reigate routes. What are they like?
  • roper
    Free Member

Anyone ride around the Reigate area?
    If you do can you tell me what the riding is like? Any good hill climbs, rocky, single track? Are they natural or man-made?
    I’ve seen one route for Cockshot hill and there a few dug-in jumps, is that the norm there? Also are there any long routes?

So, basically any info?

cheers

glenp
    Free Member

Short trip to Surrey Hills for much more woodsy singletrack on sandy soil – Reigate is either North Downs on chalk (ok if not wet) or the low-lands to the south which are scenic but not exactly mountain biking. Having said that, the bit to the south and into the weald of Surrey is superb road riding, and great for just getting about on any bike.

Surrey Hills will take about 30-45 mins to get to the edge of if you ride there. Or train to Dorking/Gomshall.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i used to live in Redhill. From the doorstep you can head west up over the north downs to box hill, down some singletrack, through ranmore common and over to Leith Hill where the more technical riding is. Or you can head west and explore the north downs there. The Surrey hills has a mix of man-made official and unofficial stuff + bridleways etc.

Further afield you can head to the South Downs, loads of riding there, and Swinley forest.

have a look at some of the pics on here
    http://www.diaryofamountainbiker.co.uk/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MTB-Idle
    Free Member

thanks for the props horatio and you are right, there is some superb riding in that area.

Just last weekend we started in ashtead and rode a 30 mile route taking in Cherkeley Court, the trail known as Alsation, Bocketts Farm, Ranmore Common, Abba Zabba and Blind Terror 1 and 2, Numbskull, drop down to Westcott, back up to Ranmore Common, Denbies, Druids Grove from the SawMill, Norbury Park, back to Bocketts Farm, up to Seeability, Leatherhead Jumps over the M25 and back to Ashtead.

Ride report and pics here

video’s here

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

oh and to answer your questions:

If you do can you tell me what the riding is like? see my post abouve

Any good hill climbs; yes, you are on the North Downs and close to the Surrey Hills so you can go up and down both of them. Box Hill has plenty of long climbs to grind up

rocky, single track? rocky if you want, plenty of singletrack

Are they natural or man-made? North Downs is mainly ‘natural’ Surrey Hills has a few more man-made trails

I’ve seen one route for Cockshot hill and there a few dug-in jumps, is that the norm there? Cockshot Hill is a small area that is mainly parkland, not really ideal for MTB. there are plenty of dirt jumps all over the area if that is what you like but you seem to be looking for more mtb rather than BMX stylee

Also are there any long routes? yes, see above

Why dont you keep an eye out on our ride diary and join us next time we go out?

phinbob

Hi,

Loads of good riding round here, at least two groups doing night rides weekly.

Plenty of woodsy trails locally, plus Surrey Hills within riding distance.

Not a huge amount of rocks, but plenty of fun riding. Lots of fast descents and some reasonable climbs.

Long routes, well there are masses of bridleways you linking everywhere, so you can make it as long as you like!

A fair bit of cheeky trail poaching action is possible too without causing problems, as long as you stay away form the busier areas.

‘The Kidz’ have build a few jumos and stuff around the place too.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Cockshot Hill is a jump spot location.
    Redhill cycling club have regular rides in the area.
    Leith Hill isn’t far either.
    Most my rides in the area take me over the top of Reigate Hill towards Boxhill. But the North Downs trails can take you easterly as well.

roper
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info and links. All very helpful.
    It is definitely more xc rather than short dh with jumps I’m after.

Thanks for the invite MTB-Idle, I’m over in the UK next week so will check the diary when I’m there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Reigate routes. What are they like?’ is closed to new replies.