Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Reigate Hill
  • Crazysmudge
    Free Member

Morning Everyone

Normally cycle around Swinley but went walking at Reigate Hills last week and noticed some bikers going off for a ride. Its ten minutes away from my house and wanted to find out if there was a good ride there, and if anybody knows any details?

Al

michaelbowden

mthe north downs way will take you all the way from reigate hill to boxhill and beyond giving you all the best riding the northdowns has to offer.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member
    glenp
    Free Member

If Reigate Hill is 10 mins from your house you’re driving past Surrey Hills to get to Swinley?

lcj

It’s ok in the dry, but like the Somme in the wet. Probably ok for a blast after work, but I would keep going to Leith et c or Swinley if I were you.

There is a hidden DH track on Box Hill, but again its a dry weather only affair, if only because the push back up is horrific in the wet!

sputnik
    Free Member

Reigate Hill is ok. Couple of VERY fast downhills but they are over quickly. Pretty views, can keep you busy for a while. Gets rather muddy in places. Did it last weekend and enjoyed it.

lcj

Also a couple of dh tracks in Reigate Priory park – short and not that hard, but quite fun. Again, best in dry conditions!

nukeproof
    Free Member

Use to pretty much always start from Reigate Hill. You can do a nice loop by going up to the Reigate Hill viewpoint then head north over the M25, across Banstead Heath, continue to Langley Vale, then head south again on Pebble Lane then Stane Street. This takes you through to a descent nearly into Mickleham. You can then go up the bridleway to the side of Box Hill or Juniper Bottom bridleway. Then its back via Headley Heath and then the North Downs Way.

Potential cafe stops at Headley Heath car park, Box Hill and Reigate Hill. Best to get OS Explorer 146 map. Can get slowed down by horses on the weekend and some section having limited horse overtaking ability so you’ve got to hope the horse riders are in a happy mood.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Reigate to Leith Hill is also doable. Though a little more road than usual.
    Reigate Hill was pretty muddy last weekend so you were probably better off at Swinley.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Reigate to Leith Hill is also doable. Though a little more road than usual.

To reduce the road and if your legs are up for it, drop down into Mickleham, cross the A24 then up to Norbury Park, across to Ranmore (could take in the back of Polsden Lacey) then along the top dropping down into either Westcott then up Wolverns or drop down to Abinger Hammer and through the little paths to Peaslake

phinbob

There’s tons of riding around there, sometimes muddy, but plenty of trails, and some good riding. Some testing climbs (well at least for me) and some good descents.

I like the one that starts here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=519595&Y=151522&A=Y&Z=120

And goes down to the A25.

And this one is quite good fun

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=522160&Y=155569&A=Y&Z=120

But there are plenty more.

Lots of night riding groups around as well.

Two threads about Reigate in a two days!

nukeproof
    Free Member

And this one is quite good fun

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=522160&Y=155569&A=Y&Z=120

That one is in the loop I described; its a good one, lots of rocks in places. Always muddy towards the top as the horse owners to the left of the path drain the crappy water on to the path.

:EDIT: hey, just saw you profile phinbob…its fatbob from the old forum! So you’re now thin?

phinbob

I’m a bit thinner than I was, thought of using “notasfatashewasbob” but it didn’t scan….

I’m not *exactly* thin, but I’ve mislaid 25% of my bodyweight somewhere…

HTTP404
    Free Member

some good descents.

be careful of walkers tho. especially on Sundays.

nukeproof
    Free Member

I’m not *exactly* thin, but I’ve mislaid 25% of my bodyweight somewhere…

😆 all good for the cycling. Lost some myself last year and it does make the hills easier.

I remembered your name as there are a few around from the Redhill/Caterham area. Seem to remember Twiglet Monster organised a ride but I couldn’t go.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

*waves*

that was a good day 🙂

TM

verbal_kint
    Free Member

“cafe” stop (caravan without wheels) at Headley common car park has gone :?, used to stop there for a bacon butty every time I passed

phinbob

There is a snack trailer thing at weekends now…

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

“cafe” stop (caravan without wheels) at Headley common car park has gone :?, used to stop there for a bacon butty every time I passed

Back when I was picking beans in Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees I mean. That was good.

forlornhope
    Free Member

watch out for the highland cattle on headley common.
    one got loose and nearly trampled my bike as i tried to take a photo of it.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

watch out for the highland cattle on headley common.
    one got loose and nearly trampled my bike as i tried to take a photo of it

Mooo!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Crazysmudge aka Al,

Did I understand your email correctly – you’re 10mins ride from Reigate Hill? I can show you some trails/put you in touch with some regular local groups/offer route advice (delete as applicable and as per your requirements!)

I often struggle with the term “good ride”. It does all depend what you’re after. The riding around Redhill and Reigate tends to be very varied. The quantity and width/twistyness of singletrack varies with the season – the fully green trees and bushes of summer makes for much tighter twistier lines!

HTH

TM

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think its time for another STW reigate/redhill ride!

HTTP404
    Free Member

once the weather dries out a bit a group night ride would be good too.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

ah ha I see a plan forming 🙂

I have a list of email addresses from folks who expressed an interest in semi-organised rides in the redhill/reigate area.

I’ll send an email out to that list suggesting a night ride.

I’ll post again in due course.

TM

nukeproof
    Free Member

Good to see TM still around. I’d be up for a Reigate/Redhill ride but not a night ride (no lights)

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

we have a ride round that area planned for this sunday morning (5th April) if you are interested in joining us.

Starting at LOMAC and then covering Stane St, Pub Steps, Norbury Park, Druids, Juniper Climb, Alpine Descent, Happy Valley ,Headley Heath ,Secret Singletrack, Stane St crossroads, down Alsation, Leatherhead Jumps, Exxon Mobil, 3 acres Barn and back to LOMAC.

25 to 30 miles depending on variations and 2.5 to 3 hours riding time

Ride sets off at 9-15 am SHARP. No exceptions

nukeproof
    Free Member

@mtb-idle. Probably a bit late now (An hour before ride!) and, not sure if your offer is to OP, I don’t want to turn up uninvited but would have been interested in ride. Oh well 🙁

vinnyeh

MTB-Idle, any chance I could get hold of a copy of your route, or you post up some grid refs- I’m living down that way at the moment, and am familiar with a few of the locations off that list, but not many, and could do with finding out what are the local names for some of the features.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Nukeproof

very much still around 🙂

If folks are looking for regular rides in East Surrey then do look up MTB-idle and the merry bunch that are Diary of a Mountain Biker.

Link available at a google search near you 🙂

TM

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

nukeproof, all comers are welcome but yes, it was probably a bit late in the day. Keep an eye out on my ride diary and let me know if you want to join a future ride.

vinney, sorry but i dont have a GPS so no can do but you too are also welcome to join us.

Hope you both got out riding cos it was an awesome day and a great ride. Here’s one of the quality descents we covered known locally as Alsatian cos, well, check the description on vimeo.

Yes, I know the camera is shaky but I have cut out the better bits and added them into a longer video which will be posted/hosted later this week

nukeproof
    Free Member

all comers are welcome but yes, it was probably a bit late in the day. Keep an eye out on my ride diary and let me know if you want to join a future ride.

Will do…cheers mtb-idle. Did managed to get out…rode out from Dorking to Pitch, Holmbury etc: great ride. Think I know where that Alastian trail is if it’s off Stane St? The gate/driveway bit looks familiar but I could be wrong.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

yup, starts at the crossroads on stane street. Facing towards Juniper bottom you take the right hand trail heading downhill. The gates you recognise are the entrance to Cherkley court and the trail brings you out onto the Leatherhead by pass.

As I mentioned, the video is a bit ‘raw’ but hopefully exciting. I have edited out the worst bits and added other less jerky footage from Sunday and will post up a fuller length video tomorrow evening.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Latest video uploaded, let me know what you think

Making plans for Nigel

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Reigate Hill’ is closed to new replies.