Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Regrets
  • iolo
    Free Member

I’ll leave this here. It helped me wen I was down.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ2xhBQ8eGA[/video]

stumpy01

Nice. I’m gonna watch that regularly for a while. Cheers for posting…. 🙂

weeksy

I regret making a mess of the step at Chicksands !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    loddrik
    Free Member

Vid is a bit shite tbh.

shermer75
    Free Member

Vid is a bit shite tbh.

Are you one of those people who try to get attention by being deliberately obnoxious?

BoardinBob

I’m guessing you’re new here 😆

loddrik
    Free Member

Are you one of those people who try to get attention by being deliberately obnoxious?

Nope, I’m one of those people who thought the vid was crap. Everyone has different tastes..

qwerty
    Free Member

Top five regrets of the dying.

A nurse has recorded the most common regrets of the dying, and among the top ones is ‘I wish I hadn’t worked so hard’. What would your biggest regret be if this was your last day of life?

There was no mention of more sex or bungee jumps. A palliative nurse who has counselled the dying in their last days has revealed the most common regrets we have at the end of our lives. And among the top, from men in particular, is ‘I wish I hadn’t worked so hard’.

Bronnie Ware is an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives. She recorded their dying epiphanies in a blog called Inspiration and Chai, which gathered so much attention that she put her observations into a book called The Top Five Regrets of the Dying.

Ware writes of the phenomenal clarity of vision that people gain at the end of their lives, and how we might learn from their wisdom. “When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently,” she says, “common themes surfaced again and again.”

Here are the top five regrets of the dying, as witnessed by Ware:

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

“This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.”

2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.

“This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children’s youth and their partner’s companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.”

3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.

“Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.”

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

“Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.”

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

“This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called ‘comfort’ of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again.”

What’s your greatest regret so far, and what will you set out to achieve or change before you die?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

alcolepone
    Free Member

It’s easy to regret the things you didnt do, they don’t have the same consequences as those things you did do.

khani
    Free Member

ton

good that. dont know why, but it made me cry.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

10 posts in and this thread has classic written all over it

Klunk
    Free Member

always very suspicious of the “you don’t regret the things you do, it’s the things you didn’t do” statement… Live life to the full eh? That could be “yeah I want to kill the last african elephant”.

DezB
    Free Member

It was lovely until the Orbital quote. Then I turned it off and listened to the original
    [video]https://youtu.be/41vKKNzAbJs[/video]

weeksy

2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.

“This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children’s youth and their partner’s companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.”

She’s obviously never nursed anyone of the STW forum 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I notice the past tense iolo.. hope you are doing well now.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nice. My philosophy, I have made many poor decisons but I understand why I made them at the time. The things I regret are always what I didn’t do, the older you get you certainly realise not to put things off for next year, now is always a better time.

stumpy01

Hmmm, this thread combined with the STW ad banner for the bike race in Sri Lanka…

A quick Google reveals this….

http://theyakattack.com/rumbleinthejungle/

Hmmmm. Digs out piggy bank & ponders……

franksinatra

Regrets? I’ve had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

The main one being a beautiful italian girl when I was 17.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ exactly it’s what you didn’t do 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

Thanks for the share. I’ll watch it again later.

MSP

I regret not getting specific bike insurance 😥

joshvegas
    Free Member

I don’t have regrets.

I haven’t finished yet.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I worry about the stuff I can affect so if it’s in the past I can’t change it only learn from it 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Regrets? I’ve had a few, but then again, too few to mention

Presumably, one of them being that you didn’t start this thread.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Whenever I watch these videos I can’t help but think of…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0[/video]

mark90
    Free Member

Three regrets I didn’t do….. Diane, Louise, Tiffany….. especially Tiffany.

One regret I did do….. Linda…… though it was fun at the time, it was the wrong thing.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not an aircraft engineer, but I don’t think that thing is true.

Anyhow, this is better:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyDMqdzPKb8[/video]

leffeboy

yep, the aircraft bit is a bit shite but the rest is good really

good that. dont know why, but it made me cry.

better stay away from the rest of omeleto then 🙂

Peyote
    Free Member

Regrets, mistakes and all the crap we go through make us who we are (the sum of our experience and a bit of other stuff too). To change any of that would change who we are.

Wouldn’t it?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I have no ragrets

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LY0Uges1Lc[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Regret?
    Messing up financially out of uni
    Saying yes at the wrong time
    Being bold at the wrong time
    Not being honest with myself when it really mattered

Then dealing badly with the after effects of that

enfht
    Free Member

I realise now that picking up the big blue crowbar was very wrong and caused huge repercussions.

Doesn’t take a jive talkin’ merican to tell me though, bro.

qwerty
    Free Member

I think we may be needing a little sunscreen:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI[/video]

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ZHVmSuBJM[/video]

Can’t believe the above New Order classic is over 23 years old! 😯

“It’s better to regret what you have done than what you haven’t.” Never a truer word spoken or written! I’ve got my handful of both over the years.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The aircraft thing is rubbish not least as they are made of aluminium and carbon fibre partly as they are light, strong and don’t rust. However, we understand the point. A bike is for riding not for keeping nicely polished in the shed.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

The trouble is the long term benefits of sunscreen has most definitely not been proved by scientists!

Sundayjumper

It’s easy to regret the things you’ve done, because you know the outcome. It’s easy to put on the rose-tinted specs and regret the things you’ve not done, because you imagine they would have had a perfect outcome. But they probably wouldn’t.

I think I regret not doing engineering at Uni. If I had, I’d have different friends, a different job, live in a different place with a different (or no) wife and different (or no) daughter. Would that be better, worse, more or less the same ? Who knows.

jimjam
    Free Member

Annoying rhyming man is annoying. Also, link to this study or I’m calling bullshit.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m much better thanks molgrips.
    The airplane bit is probably not right but I don’t care. The sentiment it portrays is a good thing.
    I decided F@ck it and bought a place in Austria in the sunshine county of Burgenland which is a big wine region. Best thing I ever did. No regrets. Today was clear blue sky and 25 degrees.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Regrets’ is closed to new replies.