Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Registering car in my name / wife's name
  • wilbert

Does anyone know whether I should register our second car under my name or my wife’s – i.e. for cheaper insurance or anything? First car is already under my name.

We both essentially joint own each car and we both drive each car.

Divorce is not on the cards unless Mrs Wilbert finds out how much money gets spent on bikes… Cars are of no massive value anyway.
    Cheers.

scotroutes

We do one in each name and then have the other as a named driver on the insurance. That way we’re each building up NCD.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

A lot of insurers will only insure you if you are the registered keeper, if your wife wants to start her own insurance and start building up a no claims history then probably best to put it in her name, or maybe put them both on a multi car policy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You can only apply your ncb to one car so little reason to not put it in her name

sharkbait
    Free Member

You can only apply your ncb to one car so little reason to not put it in her name

No correct I’m afraid. You can have as many NCB as you want, each one is built up under it’s own policy – so if you have two car you can insure them both a build a NCB for each one. But you can’t use a NCB from one policy on another car though (i.e. same NCB on two cars at the same time).
    I insure both our cars and have two separate NCB relating to each policy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

same NCB on two cats at the same time).

Errrmm……..yeah so I was correct in that it’s fair to say he probably only has one ncb if he is asking this. And so be it him starting from zero or the wife it makes no odds really .

ssbnreso
    Free Member

We have two cars, I am the legal owner and register keeper of both. We each have our own policy’s and are named drivers on each other’s policy.
    Never been a problem with any of the main stream insurance companys.

D0NK

Insurance companies seem to think my wife is a liability so both cars in my name and both my policies with her as named. Whenever I renew by phone (ie not an auto computer qoute) they seem happy with this. Building NCD could be a better long term strategy but at renewal time Im just looking at the price

ssbnreso
    Free Member

With my car the insurance quotes came down when I added my wife as named driver and fully comp was cheaper than TPFT…..it’s a black art!

nbt

We only have one car, for many years it was insured in my wife’s name as my NCB had lapsed. Our insurer was happy to transfer my wife’s NCB to me as I was doing more of the driving

tinybits
    Free Member

I have a company car and a private car. The private car is in my name (purely because I filled the form in) and I transfer the insurance between myself and my wife every couple of years to keep our separate ncb’s. So far no insurer has minded at all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Registering car in my name / wife's name’ is closed to new replies.