Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Starting a new bike brand or company?
  • tortus
    Free Member

I’ve long dreamt of starting my own custom frame brand as a hobby and a passion that will continue to evolve and be in line with what the riders want.

Let’s say it’s going to be called “Tortus Cycles”, can it offer protection for say Tortus Cycle, Bikes, or Bicycles? Or is it necessary to file a separate registration for each variant to prevent someone else from starting up their own brand or shop with the same name?

Can you register or copywrite a brand or company if it isn’t generating income immediately?

Any advice or constructive criticism would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

tyrionl1
    Free Member

In this day and age it’s more important to check your web options which is easy enough to do. I wouldn’t waste time or money registering names unless you’re seeking to limit liability via a company then that will be automatic as you can’t register a name that already exists.

Once you are going there isn’t that much protection anyway, your name tortus for instance could be spelt tortoise or tort-us or tor-tus if anyone seriously wanted to get involved in copying what you are up to, which is extremely unlikely.

Your protection will be your products and the innovative nature thereof and the name and logo style which can just fall into standard copyright protection.

Name protection can be done, I’m just saying for a small business at the outset, it’s a needless time wasting expense. Build whatever you’re going to build and hopefully they will come, providing it works they’ll ride it whatever it’s called, even something as ghastly sounding as On-One or Knolly.

jonnyrockymountain

sounds like it’s going to be slow!!!!!

Mackem

I turtley agree with the above.

bedmaker

Is this some sort of shell company for channeling funds to the Galapagos islands?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not about copyright or registration but “passing off”.

So the names you list would be passing off as yours as they are so similar and in the same market.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Starting a new bike brand or company?’ is closed to new replies.