• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Registering a domain / simple web page / company questions
  • DT78
    Free Member

I’m looking to register a simple address (like DT78.com) and build basically a ‘hello world’ page, nothing fancy. It would be nice to also have the associated email – DT78@DT78.com

Any recommendations for sites to look into to do this?

I would also like to register DT78.com as a company but unlikely to be pushing big numbers through it (part time / pro bono consultancy expenses)

Any recommendations for this too?

If there is a book or blog out there that simply describes the best way of doing this that would be great.

Drac

I would also like to register DT78.com as a company but unlikely to be pushing big numbers through it (part time / pro bono consultancy expenses)

Too late.

Reg123 are easiest and cheap to use for registering, there’s better for hosting.

DT78
    Free Member

Well, luckily that’s not the actual one I want.

This is probably a real numpty question, but who actually owns domains names and what gives say reg123 the rights to sell it on?

Is it whoever got there first?

Drac

They’re licenced to sell them there’s a governing body oversees those who sell them. Once bought you own it until it expires.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 for reg123

Very easy.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I use TSOHost. Cheap, reliable and available on the phone on a UK landline number. The person on the phone fixes the problem too.

Rubber_Buccaneer

When you say register as a company do you mean a limited company registered with Companies House? If so check the company name and domain name are both available, you don’t want them to be different.

Cougar

By reg123, do you mean 123-reg?

That’s who I use, though hosting is elsewhere.

Cougar

who actually owns domains names and what gives say reg123 the rights to sell it on?

No-one owns domains which don’t exist yet. When you register, they allocate you the name for your use, and maintain administrative control as the registrar; ie, you approach them for any changes. With 123-reg, they give you a control panel which you can use to set up things like pointing www. to your website or directing mail to an email server (mine just forwards any @domain emails to my gmail account). The whole thing is regulated by a governing body.

Some companies register it in their own name rather that yours, which is something to watch out for as it can cause problems down the line if you want to change companies.

TheGingerOne

Following on from what Cougar said, Nominet (nominet.org.uk) runs the top level .uk domain. If you have any issues with your registrar and they are unhelpful or unwilling, then you can access your registration directly with Nominet to change your registrar as a last resort (I think)
    As he says, when choosing a registrar, make sure they register you as the registrant rather than themselves so that you actually own and control your domain (and can therefore adminster it via Nominet if needs be)

(I think that is all correct and makes sense)

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. So reg-123 registers in your name? What is to stop them bumping the price massively on renewal?

Also any tips on all the other suffixes (if that is the right term?) like .co.uk, .com, .co.com etc…..?

Company wise, ltd was the plan as it is for consultancy type work. To start with small beer engagements with many clients outside of the day job. Would like to offset expenses or it won’t be worth it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Registering a domain / simple web page / company questions’ is closed to new replies.