Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Register to vote or stop compaining
  • Cougar

I’d normally vote lib dem, but I’m going to take a deep breath and vote labour, as they could win our local seat.

We can’t allow the Conservatives. They are pure evil.

Pretty much where I’m at too.

ulysse
    Free Member

Yup.
    And the world ain’t quite ready for my lot yet…

anagallis_arvensis

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=shIOZdEzkiU[/video]

keithr
    Free Member

Me too – I can’t imagine ever being selfish and uncaring enough to vote Tory.

Murray

I can imagine it – I did so when the Labour manifesto included unilateral nuclear disarmament, something that I thought was incredible dangerous.

RoterStern
    Free Member

WTAF? That website says that I’m not allowed to vote because I have been out of the UK for over 15 years!! Does that mean I am in some sort of political limbo? I can’t vote in Germany as I am not a German citizen and not in the UK either.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

WTAF? That website says that I’m not allowed to vote because I have been out of the UK for over 15 years!!

Sounds fair really.

nealglover
    Free Member

WTAF? That website says that I’m not allowed to vote because I have been out of the UK for over 15 years!!

That seems kind of logical to me.

ulysse
    Free Member

Murray – Member
    I can imagine it – I did so when the Labour manifesto included unilateral nuclear disarmament, something that I thought was incredible dangerous

When was that? Under Michael Foot?

mattyfez

Basically yes. Welcome to chairman Mays vision of a modern country.

mattyfez

That seems kind of logical to me.

Why? Thier rights are at steak here, they ex patriated under nice friendly collaborative European rules.

Now it seems they might be hung out to dry because thier country of origin is basically being a ‘a very difficult woman’.

To use theresa May’s own words.

nealglover
    Free Member

Why? Thier rights are at steak here, they ex patriated under nice friendly collaborative European rules.

Now it seems they might be hung out to dry because thier country of origin is basically being a ‘a very difficult woman’.

I would say, that if someone left the UK and have lived in Germany for more than 15 years, they would do a better job of protecting their rights, by becoming a citizen and voting in the country that they actually live in.

oldnpastit

I would say, that if someone left the UK and have lived in Germany for more than 15 years, they would do a better job of protecting their rights, by becoming a citizen and voting in the country that they actually live in.

So the Brexit vote was also a vote to effectively strip people of the right to be British?

nealglover
    Free Member

So the Brexit vote was also a vote to effectively strip people of the right to be British?

That’s exactly what I said obviously 🙄

RoterStern
    Free Member

Lots of Brexiters on here today! 😉

wordnumb
    Free Member

blader1611 sed > Is it ok to not vote and not complain about it?

Spot the N Korean hacker trying to infilate our fake-news minds because the Russians lied about the NHS and Bill Hicks told me I can’t ask who’s holding the puppets because communists eat babies and Scrooge McDuck is all hahaha. Doomed, we are all.

Cougar

I can kind of see a logic in denying someone a vote in a country they’ve not lived in for 15 years. But the whole Brexit thing could have serious repercussions for British emigrants so it’s pretty scandalous that some of then don’t get to have a voice.

That said, why would you want to live somewhere for over 15 years and not want apply for citizenship (or at least, dual citizenship)? If the boot were on the other foot and we were talking about immigrants to Britain living here for 15 years without citizenship it’d be Daily Mail headline material.

(Also, I’ve only just noticed: why does immigrant have two m’s and emigrant only have one? That’s weird.)

mattyfez

Why? it’s equal rights for all, would it be fair to remove rights dependent on where you are?

Sounds like you want to penalise people for being broad minded decent human beings.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“We can’t allow the Conservatives. They are pure evil”
    Labour surely?
    Sometimes the vote issue isn’t easy. What if you don’t approve of any of them or even the idea of universal voting?

mattyfez

mattsccm – Member
    “We can’t allow the Conservatives. They are pure evil”
    Labour surely?

Yeh it makes me sick too, but something has to be done.

The worst possible outcome for our country would be a tory victory.

They are Saying they will walk away with no deal rather than negotiate.

The implications of that will devastating to the average person who’s just about paying thier bills.

mattyfez

And let’s face it, there’s no negotiation on the part of the UK.

There’s simply nothing to negotiate, and that’s not the EU bullying us, we simply don’t have a better hand when the cards stack up, it’s a stupid poise to take.

ninfan
    Free Member

They are Saying they will walk away with no deal rather than negotiate.

Sounds like you don’t really know how negotiation works.

mattyfez

Dude..

There’s nothing to negotiate with.. That’s how Europe and the wider world see it?

Does the UK have a tripple Ace? I’d love that but I can’t see it.. So what is your argument?

oldnpastit

That said, why would you want to live somewhere for over 15 years and not want apply for citizenship (or at least, dual citizenship)?

I know a Norwegian guy who has been here for about 20 years, still doesn’t have UK nationality. The Norwegian rules mean he can’t have dual nationality, so becoming a brit now means he would give up quite a lot.

nealglover
    Free Member

Lots of Brexiters on here today!

Strange (and incorrect) assumption to make, based on what I’ve posted.

Just seems that if you are interested in protecting your rights, then becoming a Citizen of the country you leave loved in for 15 years would be a good idea.
    That way you can take part in the donictacy that effects every part of your everyday life.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry to be an arse here…
    Keep this on track. Want to argue piss off somewhere else.

nealglover
    Free Member

Want to argue piss off somewhere else.

Can’t see how talking about registering to vote and take part in the democratic process, is out of place on a thread about registering to vote.

But hey ho. Seeing as you asked nicely.

ninfan
    Free Member

There’s nothing to negotiate with.. That’s how Europe and the wider world see it?

Fair enough – if there is nothing to negotiate then we had better get the ferries and removal companies fired up to deal with all those people being rapatriated both ways. You might want to start stocking up on canned goods and waiting for the planes to start falling from the sky.

Unless of course you’re talking nonsense, and there is in fact a huge amount to negotiate with and over.

convert

” it’s a safe seat my vote won’t make any difference”

This would be me. I live in a super safe tory seat full of middle class, middle aged and old people so the turn out is very high. At the last election if every non voter has been forced at gun point to the polling station and had all voted for the 2nd party in the final standings the tories would still have won the result would be identical. In a straight foot race under the current rules my vote will have zero effect on the national outcome.

However, as ever I will vote. Unless people like me vote the national statistics will not show the absurdity of the current situation and PR will never look like the rational fair voting system that genuinely represents the nation properly. In 2015 for the parties in 3rd and 4th place to get 20.5% of the vote to gain 8 seats (1.2%) of the seats combined and the party that came 5th with 4.7% of the vote to gain 56 seats (8.6%) is a national disgrace.

akira

Think I’m going tactical this year, voting wise not a nuclear strike! Although it is the only way to be sure. There is a level of apathy and it doesn’t make a difference in younger folk about voting, and it suits many people in power to let them believe this I think.

aracer
    Free Member

Well we already know you support all right wing extremists, so what’s new?

Cougar

Yeh it makes me sick too, but something has to be done.

The worst possible outcome for our country would be a tory victory.

It’s like, I wouldn’t want to have lunch with Piers Morgan. But if my only option was that or lunch with Katie Hopkins it’d be Piers every time.

(Unless I could bring a bat, anyway.)

Cougar

Sorry to be an arse here…
    Keep this on track. Want to argue piss off somewhere else.

Quite.

kayla1
    Free Member

As a Green, I wouldn’t give a shite about labour if they lose, i’m concerned with the winning – the Corbynites espouse some of my parties goals. I don’t care how it’s brought about but I’m realist enough to realise that uk politics and some of its electorate are still too immature to accept Green policy. So Corbyn as a trojan horse and backdoor to more “Green” policy is fine by me.
    But if Labour do lose, I would welcome any move to encourage Corbyn /Mcdonnel / Rayner /Abrahams to defect to us.

+1

I hope Labour under Corbyn win, or at least are put in the position where they may be able to form a progressive coalition.

Buuuuuut… a lot of people are greedy/stupid/gullible enough to believe the tory lies that they’re ‘for’ workers.

superjohn71
    Free Member

I am in the position of having a moral objection to the four candidates I will have a choice of which means I can’t even hold my nose and vote for the least worst option. That would have left me in the position of having to spoil my paper, until a monster raving loony candidate threw his hat into the ring. He’ll get my vote now.

thecaptain
    Free Member

As for not getting a new citizenship, I didnt quite make 15y but did spend 13 in Japan. Getting J citizenship would have meant giving up British (j law), I never intended to live there permanently but just while the job (several short contracts not even permie) lasted. No surprise, I’m back here as expected.

If you think people like me should be stripped of my vote for not being resident/taxpayer, then how about giving the vote to all immigrants? Somehow that doesn’t seem to come up for debate so much.

kelvin

DELETED TO TRY AND KEEP THIS ON TOPIC

Please register to vote if you are lucky enough to have that option.

aracer
    Free Member

I expect my FB friends are starting to get bored with all the things I’m sharing encouraging them to register and vote, but then I have quite a few friends in the demographic with the lowest turnout who also live in a far more marginal constituency than I do – I figure it’s the biggest influence I can have on the election.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m registered, I will vote but by god Tim Minchin is a socket.

zokes
    Free Member

If you think people like me should be stripped of my vote for not being resident/taxpayer, then how about giving the vote to all immigrants? Somehow that doesn’t seem to come up for debate so much.

If you’re paying tax in a country you should be able to vote on how that tax gets spent. Likewise, I do think it fair that if you’re not paying tax in a country then after a certain time period (and 15 years seems as good as any other arbitrary time limit) you probably shouldn’t have a say over how other people’s money is spent in a place you don’t live

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Register to vote or stop compaining’ is closed to new replies.