Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Refurbishing Ti frames?
  • IvanDobski
    Free Member

A mate's buying a 2nd hand ti frame (I think he said it's an Airborne something or other) and was on about refurbishing it. Basically he wants to buff it up and then get some new decals on it.

However he might try and get the logos etc blasted on so they contrast with the finish… I've never heard of anyone getting this done so is it doable, doable but expensive or the ravings of a madman? If it is doable can anyone point me at some websites.

I'd normally let them do the legwork but tbh I've always wanted a ti frame so I'd quite like to know for future reference!

tinsy
    Free Member

Hypothetically speaking, and not from experience, could get decals made at a sign shop that was just the outside of what you actually wanted written on it, like a stencil if you get my meaning, and apply those to the polished frame and get the area lightly sandblasted and them remove the stencil decals… There maybe be a chemical way of etching on but my guess is they will all need the stencils anyhow..

Polishing bit is easy enough just work at it.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I assume that the sand-blasting could be done at pretty much any frame resprayers?

tinsy
    Free Member

maybe, not had it done, wouldnt have be a frame place, there will be an indutrial estate near you with a blast cabinet and someone tame to do it for you, but having used said cabinet its a bit messy, so wrap absoltely every surface with duct tape you dont want blasted and pay special attention to protecting any threads, and then cleaning them out after.

Its worth looking into some kind of chemical etching, it might not be too difficult and a lot less messy..

UK-FLATLANDER

Can certainly be done – http://www.enigmabikes.com/finishes/info_10.html not sure where as a refurb

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Refurbishing Ti frames?’ is closed to new replies.