Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Reformed fish. Yes or No?
  • leffeboy

I’d love to know what sort of food these food chemists actually eat. If I were them I’d be scared to go anywhere near a supermarket (unless of course this was a marillion reference)

Junkyard
    Free Member

MRM [mechanically recovered meat]is meat residue which is left on the carcass after all the prime cuts have been removed.

It is pressure-blasted off the bones by machinery and forms a reddish slurry which resembles mince.

Some companies then use it to bulk up their meat products.

there is a reason some meat products are cheap
    When I was astudent kwik save own burgers and mince were pound for pound cheaper than their own dog food 😯

scaredypants

everyone deserves a second chance, even fish

unless it did something really bad

scaredypants

pretty much all the sliced ham you can get at sainsbos says formed from selected cuts. I assume that means mechanically recovered & left to set

donsimon
    Free Member

(unless of course this was a marillion reference)

Absolutely not! what a horrible thought and that should be posted here.

woody2000

Personally, I think it’s a good thing. I know it’s really just a way to maximise profit, but at the same time I suppose (naively maybe) that it also reduces waste from a valuable and dwindling resource. Or to put it another way – I’ll eat owt, me.

🙂

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

@scaredypants:
    Check the packaging, they aren’t actually allowed to call it “meat,” so the meat content won’t include MRM.

The way they make cheap sliced ham involves throwing actual meat (and probs some MRM, check it) with some water, salt and the odd chemical thingy, push it into a mould and literally crush it into shape using an insanely poewerful machine.

MRM (and presumably MRF) is not allowed to be called meat because the resultant product is so structurally different. The texture, smell and even taste bear no resemblence to actual meat, the process of acquiring it alters it that much.

geoffj

scaredypants

capnbudget:

what about the big lumps of meat on the deli with a bone in the middle – that real, or just pressed with a bone inserted beforehand ?

(are you the poor side of flash’s family ??)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(are you the poor side of flash’s family ??)

PMSL! 🙂

thebunk

The acceptable face of reformed fish:

This is wrong:

This is wrong, yet I am strangely drawn to it…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Fish don’t have fingers but I’ve eaten a few of them before and not died, so I’d say it’s fine 🙂

<this post does not consitute good scientific practice>

toys19
    Free Member

Its all protein/fat/fibre I couldn’t give a damn if looks like a bit of an animal or not. Vultures and dogs eat everything, its good for you.

RustySpanner

“…squid yes, not so octopus……….”

Cougar

I’m confused as to what difference it makes as to whether the meat is cut off or washed off.

But then, I’m veggie, so I’m often confused about what omnivores will and won’t eat.

toys19
    Free Member

I’m confused as to what difference it makes as to whether the meat is cut off or washed off.

Exactly, the difference is in perception.

Cougar

TBF, the name doesn’t help its cause any.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’m confused as to what difference it makes as to whether the meat is cut off or washed off

Think of it like the difference between havesting veg by cutting it and using a great big jetwash to create a veggie goo which is then reformed along with all sorts of other additives into somthing that resembles the vegetables it used to be. Which of the two would you prefer to eat and which do you think would taste nicer.

It’s all the stuff that has to be added to the reformed meat that is the issue rather than the actual meat itself, well that and the large amounts of fat, connective tissue, skin etc which don’t have much nutritional value.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If it tastes nice I will eat it. I do sometimes wonder at just what crap goes into making stuff but then I forget as I am munching away on a tasty sausage or whatever.

Cougar

… a veggie goo which is then reformed along with all sorts of other additives into somthing that resembles the vegetables it used to be.

A bit like Dolmio / Ragu, then?

It’s all the stuff that has to be added to the reformed meat that is the issue

If that’s the case then I’d agree that that may be a more of problem. However, I don’t see any reference to additives in the (frankly odd) link supplied by the OP.

gonefishin
    Free Member

A bit like Dolmio / Ragu, then

More like a sauce made up of the leftover parts of the veg that you didn’t use for your main product which are then somehow reformed into a tomato.

phil.w
    Free Member

I do sometimes wonder at just what crap goes into making stuff but then I forget as I am munching away on a tasty sausage or whatever.

How to make sausages cheap…

The pork content of a sausage only has to be 40%, the rest is cheap bulk, mainly water, chicken & breadcrumbs.

The 40% pork does not have to be all meat, just pig. So skin, connective tissue, fat etc are all fair contents. This means you could have more chicken meat than pork meat in your ‘pork’ sausages.

This all causes a cooking problem as they just stew in there own juices which just wont stay in. This is why sugar is added as this browns nicely on the outside giving the impression of a well cooked quality sausage.

Hot dog anyone?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah but they taste good.

Cougar

Hot dog anyone?

Yes please.

Guaranteed free from chicken, pig fat, connective tissue, skin…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m often confused about what omnivores will and won’t eat

The clue is right there in the name

gonefishin
    Free Member

Guaranteed free from chicken, pig fat, connective tissue, skin…

…texture, flavour.

Sorry couldn’t resist. 😉

To be fair though I can’t stand “normal” hot dogs as they too are prety much free for texture and flavour too.

Cougar

The clue is right there in the name

You’d think so, but plenty turn their nose up at various things. Would you eat: horse, kitten, human, lamb that you’d seen in the field, rabbit that you’d have to kill yourself, etc…?

Some would say “all of the above” of course, but different people have different levels of squeamishness / morals. The “omnivore” moniker is a bit of a misnomer, which is kinda what I was getting at back there.

…texture, flavour.

I take your point that some veggie ‘alternatives’ are very different to the meat dishes they’re replacing; however, from what I remember of meat hot dogs (last time I had one, twenty years ago), the veggie versions are as close to identical as makes no odds. Which isn’t all that surprising given how much “meat” there actually is in a conventional hot dog.

donsimon
    Free Member

However, I don’t see any reference to additives in the (frankly odd) link supplied by the OP.

And you don’t get any prizes because you haven’t understood the purpose of the post. 🙄 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You’d think so, but plenty turn their nose up at various things. Would you eat:

horse – Yes
    kitten – Yes,
    Human – No, unless…nah, No.
    lamb that you’d seen in the field – Yes
    rabbit that you’d have to kill yourself – Not sure the process is part of it, but Rabbit- Yes

But I agree, Omni is fairly strong.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Reformed fish. Yes or No?’ is closed to new replies.