Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Reflective tape – reccomendations?
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I bought some black reflective tape off ebay for my old commuter, but it was pretty rubbish compared to the reflective stuff on my timbuk2 bag. anyway, i've used it all up now and got a new commuter so need some new stuff for;
    – making my bike less nickable
    – making my bike more visible (its not to replace lights etc.. by the way!)

Has anyone bought any recently they're impressed with??

I heard the name 'solas' was good after a bit of googling.

angryratio
    Free Member

I bought some of the red/white and thats just about the best for making you shine like a shiny thing.

I've just bought some of the black and while it looks bling because you can't see it, it aint a patch on the in your face white/red 3M stuff..

Its really worth having on a commute bike, especially if your a tool like me and you get caught out with no lights once in a blue moon over summer.
    Least theres something gonna help make you obvious.

My maxlight commuter there, it has black stuff on the frame, then the stuff in red on crank arms/fork lowers is 3m stuff.
    The 3m stuff works way better.

The best way to think of it is try making your bike look as strange as possible.
    Something that reflects back at drivers that is an odd shape/configuration or just extremely obvious is more likely to make you visible.

Certainly less chance of the old smidsy.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's the 3M diamond-grade stuff you want IIRC

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

3M Diamond Grade is the best

You can get it here http://www.beseenonabike.co.uk/

coffeeking
    Free Member

My personal opinion, as a driver, is that the people who get seen the most are the ones with reflective tape on the front and back of their crank arms (not so much the sides) and helmet. Helmet gets seen above car roof and lets you plan, crank arms are odd bobby moving bright stuff that draws your attention.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, as mentioned get it on something which moves. This is why I think that really good ankle bands, such as these are the best option;

(I really miss those Scott shoes, they were great on flats!)

0091paddy
    Free Member

ebay. I paid a couple of quid for a fair bit last year.

sockpuppet

i bought this from wiggle. bit more money but works well and sticks well too.

a sheet goes a *long* way

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

No pics on the bike I'm afraid but I bought a meter of yellow and blue for the commuter (Ribble Audax) last year. Couple of sections on top tube to cover scratches and long length on back of mudguard.

I've had lots of comments about how effective it is, especially in blue / yellow standing out from the normal white in day and night

Ebay linky

TooTall
    Free Member

Here – fill your boots:

reflective products

higthepig
    Free Member

Shiny tape

Blagged from work some of this 3M tape to use as a chain-stay protector on my road bike as nothing else suitable was around at the time, that was over 20 years ago and it is still as good as the day it was put on (minus a few chain scars), did think about a frame re-spray a few years ago, but don't think I would be able to get the tape off. Not sure what glue it is, but it is stronger than anything else I have come across.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

As a follow-up to this thread, RoadID now do the AnkleID with a Scotchlite reflective band – doubly useful!

http://www.roadid.com/common/learnmore_ankle.aspx?GoBackURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.roadid.com%2fcommon%2fid.aspx%3fhash%3del

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Reflective tape – reccomendations?’ is closed to new replies.