• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benw.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Reflective paint
  • benw
    Free Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reflective/ hi visibility spray paint to mark trees on a night ride?just something to light up or be very visible with a bike light .All of my night riding is in forest and I have older eyes and keep missing the turnings.thanks Ben

iolo
    Free Member

Get a better light and learn the trails a bit better.

scruff9252

Don’t go vandalising trees in a Forrest.

benw
    Free Member

Light plenty powerfull enough thanks my eyes the problem as I said.the trees in the “Forrest” are well maintained and regularly chopped down for firewood by the local authority so that’s not a problem.i am a well balanced individual who just wants an indication of where to turn with small circular mark that I can see at night.

qwerty
    Free Member

yorkshire89
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rust-Oleum-AE0010005E8-400ml-Light-Reflective/dp/B007X3OJMW

Not sure how well it would work on tree’s though…

benw
    Free Member

I did see that Yorkshire using Google and unless someone comes up with a product they have already used will give it a go thanks..That was a good episode of only fools as well

andyl
    Free Member

reflective tape?

benw
    Free Member

I had thought off Andyl that and think it maybe a bit two visible during the day and get pulled off by other passers by/hunters.etc

ninfan
    Free Member

Not sure how well it would work on tree’s though…

That’s why you spray it on a load of drawing pins heads first, (would recommend a degrease and primer first)

then just pop them in to mark the route discreetly

sparkyrhino

just re-arrange the hanging dog poo bags,suprised even myself with that idea.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve seen small tabs of reflective tape used for this. Silver stuff off eBay can be got in any quantity. It’s discreet in daylight too.

benw
    Free Member

That sounds like a decent enough idea Ninfan,you have obviously tried it with success then?

iolo
    Free Member

Get these guys to make you a few pointers.
    Remember to have a minimum of 2.1m to the underside of the sign so cyclists won’t crash into them.

ninfan
    Free Member

Benw, yes I have – though I used liquid paint rather than spray paint (I think glowtech do it in the UK) and made sure they were proper brass drawing pins rather than brass plated steel so would not rust.

We also had access to solvent and a brass tumbler with walnut shells (used for cleaning ammunition for reloading) so we’re able to get them properly ready for priming, as brass is v. Difficult to paint. I’m sure you could do a decent enough job at home with bike degreaser.

andyl
    Free Member
    benw
    Free Member

cheers ninfan,i will probably go down the ready made route and order the trail tacks as suggested by dexa..

benw
    Free Member

ordered off ebay from germany…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Reflective paint’ is closed to new replies.