Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • References with CV?
  • benz
    Free Member

What are the thoughts around including references with CV’s as part of job applications?

Does it seem too desperate?

Are references used any more?

Cougar

I think my CV ends with something like “professional and personal references available on request.”

I don’t think it’s particularly good practice to be giving out other people’s personal details on a public document.

jamj1974

As Cougar above.

benz
    Free Member

Cougar,

What I meant was that if one had written references scanned as pdf’s should one attach to a CV when submitting the CV?

Thinking that if they were going to be required at some point down the line is it not more efficient to include at the start of the job application process?

NewRetroTom

Depends what kind of job it’s for really. No for jobs in a profession.

When I went to NZ for a gap year after leaving school I got the local farmer I had worked for to write me a general reference I could show to farmers in NZ when I went looking for a job there. Seemed to work ok.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

No, say they are available on request

nemesis
    Free Member

Yep, I never give out reference with my CV – aside from anything else, I don’t trust other people (particularly HR) not to accidentally request a reference from people at my current company before they need to.

Besides, nowadays, most references are the absolute basics to avoid any legal issues – eg X has worked at Y in the role of Z since mmddyyyy

toby1

Yeah, hold on to them until asked. They are usually the last port of call anyway so no need to include them up front. Yes, they are still a part of the process.

Cougar

What I meant was that if one had written references scanned as pdf’s should one attach to a CV when submitting the CV?

Same difference really. Wait until Proof of Awesomeness is formally requested.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Nemesis +1

Most references are now the bare minimum in order to avoid legal issues.

mudshark
    Free Member

Never used the word references on any CV of mine. Maybe mention them in a covering letter.

Junkyard
    Free Member

References available on request

Only reason to include is to include your current employer to let them know you are looking for work if you have some sort of agenda to secure a wage rise or piss them off.

IMHO scanned references are a bit pointless as no one will send a shit one.

jamj1974

benz – Member
    Cougar,
    Thinking that if they were going to be required at some point down the line is it not more efficient to include at the start of the job application process?

Still a ‘no’ from me. However, I do have recommendations on my LinkedIn profile.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘References with CV?’ is closed to new replies.