• This topic has 89 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • redundancytrackworld…
  • marcus
    Free Member

On a similar vain, I’ve just been advised that 1 of my Clients with a turnover of circa £35million has just applied for a CVA. I may as well say bye bye to the money they owe and I expect it isnt going to be be pretty for many other of their suppliers or staff. 🙁

john_drummer
    Free Member

Confirmation today that it is my job that’s redundant. I finish on 27th March. One interview already arranged so fingers crossed

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yay! And indeed woohoo!

New job to go to, having a week off for Easter, then start 7th April. PICK contract, £30/hour and a nice big redundancy payout. I feel a new drum kit coming on… 🙂

chipster

Great news, John.
    Nice fish!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thread resurrection only a month before it get’s locked!

Had a meeting today to be put ‘at risk’, which considering my department is 4 people in 2 groups, I’m 1 and the other three in the other, and the number of redundancies is likely to be 2 that basically means me +1, otherwise why invite my group (me).

Bollocks, thought I’d weathered the worst of it too!

Anyone need a Process Engineer?

CV

Masters Degree in Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
    APMP level D

7 years design experience, 2 as Design Safety Engineer,

Refineries
    Petrochemicals; particularly UOP packages, BP refrigerated parxylene process, LNG, Ethylene cracking, Polyethylene, ethylene storage and pipelines and solids handling for an Energy from waste plant.
    Utilities: Dealt with (some of) the piperacks for the worlds biggest petrochemical plant as well as steam, nitrogen, air and cooling systems.

A lot of PMC work as well as FEED and EPC both as a process engineer and in design safety. I’ve also got site and laboratory experience.

johndoh
    Free Member

If the other three all hold similar roles then (if the employer is playing it by the book) they should consider all four people equally so you may be worrying needlessly.

Good luck!

Junkyard
    Free Member

WHilst if they had not considered you for redundnancy then you would be free i think you have painted it to harshly – though of course you know the employer but can read tehe wind.

I suspect that had they wanted to just close your department they could and make you redundant as they no longer had that role or team. The fact they are not suggests to me one of

1) they are doing this very carefully to avoid a constructive claim

2) they want you to be in the pool rather than just make your role redundant.

Its not good news but it may not be as bad as you think either.

Best of luck

project
    Free Member

Masters Degree in Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
    APMP level D
    7 years design experience, 2 as Design Safety Engineer,

Refineries
    Petrochemicals; particularly UOP packages, BP refrigerated parxylene process, LNG, Ethylene cracking, Polyethylene, ethylene storage and pipelines and solids handling for an Energy from waste plant.
    Utilities: Dealt with (some of) the piperacks for the worlds biggest petrochemical plant as well as steam, nitrogen, air and cooling systems.

A lot of PMC work as well as FEED and EPC both as a process engineer and in design safety. I’ve also got site and laboratory experience.

aldi are recruiting staff, that made the news in all the media, sadly the loss of highly skilled jobs for cyclists doesnt even get a mention,

Best wishes with the job search.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Well I’m still here on that contract role and there’s at least another year’s worth of work…

Some of the redundancy payout got spent…new £1300 drum kit…£2k small car and expensive dental work for mrs_d…trip to New York, another trip to Stockholm…
    Downside is, no workee, no earnee , so illness & holidays have to be few & far between

juanking

Well here we are again, almost a year to the day. The consultation process is complete and we all receive our notifications on Monday. Oh joy!

white101

I got shot out the door December 1st last year after 13+ years, Dec and Jan were hopeless for job hunting, thankfully things have picked up recently but still dipping into my redundancy. Cycling’s been good, but frankly I would like to get some money coming in and keep my pay off for other stuff but mortgage and gas bills…

HansRey

holy thread resurrection, batman!

What about having a jobs thread, for job-seekers?

hora
    Free Member

I’ve just been made redundant after 11yrs, I should have left 5yrs ago when the old owner sold up. Tbh when I’ve told people at interview what the place was like they said I was better off out and things are looking better. Funny how when you get used to a place for so long you don’t realise that competitors have the even the very basics in place as normal. I’ve already turned one offer down from our bigger/biggest competitor due to the competition Clause in the contract and I’m expecting an offer next week.

Friends said ‘you’ll find its the best thing that happens to you longterm’.

I’m agreeing with this.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve already turned one offer down from our bigger/biggest competitor due to the competition Clause in the contract and I’m expecting an offer next week.

really? I thought you could just ignore that stuff due to dubious legality?

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

Looks like I’m going to be made redundant in April. Company is reducing manning at our place by more than half and I’m two away from being safe.
    There’s 30k on the table so providing one of the two interviews I have comes up trumps…all will be well. Failing that, I may have to work away few days a week which I’m dreading as we’ve just had a baby and I really don’t want to miss out on her growing up ?

hora
    Free Member

It was the breadth and depth of the wording coupled with a overall feel that confirmed to me that it wasn’t right.

Redundancy is a paid opportunity to concentrate on finding the ‘right’ place that makes you happier right?

FuzzyWuzzy

Best of luck to those going through redundancy at the moment, chances are you’ll end up in a better role anyway

Sundayjumper

I thought I’d replied to this at the time, seeing as I was made redundant Feb last year.

I took the summer off and started a new job in October that’s more interesting and better paid. Things do work out. Just be prepared for some time off and make the most of it !

allthepies
    Free Member

Consultation going on at our place too, I’m in the group “being assessed” for redundo consideration.

Nearly 30 years “service” but they’re only offering statutory minimum despite making billions of dollars profit/annum, cheers.

MoreCashThanDash

Been made redundant twice, never had any qualms, worries or regrets.

Looking to maybe quit voluntarily soon, slightly more nervous now I’m the wrong side of 45 as to what my chance of a financially viable new start would be.

Del

I’ve already turned one offer down from our bigger/biggest competitor due to the competition Clause

you’ve been made redundant and have a right to earn a living. non-competition clauses are unenforceable. take the job, if you actually want it, and if you get any bother tell them to do one. legal cover on your household insurance?

hora
    Free Member

The issue is coming out of one bad experience I don’t want to go somewhere that says for a year you can’t approach anyone that the company works with, has worked with or may work with.

Kinda tells me something about the business.

On another level I also want a fair reference with no hold ups in the future. Im fair as an employee and I’d expect the same back!

mt
    Free Member

there could/have been a clause in a redundancy settlement that precludes working for competitors. This of course would be worth several thousand pounds.

dovebiker

Been given informal notice that my role is at risk and should receive formal notification in May – if it happens this will be my third actual redundancy but having to go through ‘redeployment’ at the moment. I’ve been there 14 years and if I get the normal payout, I should get a decent sum after tax. Previous times it worked out better in the long run, change sector, bigger salary but TBH I’d happily take a paycut not to have to deal with all the corporate BS. Hopefully, I’ll find something that keeps me interested as I’ve got other ideas I’d like to explore.

juanking

As mentioned I find out on Monday, if everything goes tits up then it’s off back to North Wales so can’t complain too much!

br
    Free Member

Last time I got laid off one thing I did was quite handy, as I didn’t work for 15 months, I dropped the mortgage to an interest-only one – helped us still have cash when I started again.

Worth planning for the worse.

benz
    Free Member

Juan,

O&G?

A large-ish ‘British’ petroleum company? Good luck.

Survived redundancy 7 years ago (after being employed by the same company for 20 odd years – company bought out and turned to shit) took voluntary at the second round of cuts and went from management to back on the tools – company was wrapped up shortly after, Came out with only £12k – due to broken service (working self employed for same bloody company), but bought a vehicle and some tools as well as paying off a bit of debt

BEST

DECISION

EVER

Not looked back since

juanking

Aye Benz, that’s the one. Going to be 600 folk out of work come Monday just in Aberdeen. I remember you got redundancy last year from the same sector and town, you been busy?

chakaping
    Free Member

They didn’t actually say they wanted to hold you to the clause did they hora?

Fair enough if you don’t want the other job, but I’d be stunned if your current employer were trying to stop you.

My experience is that redundancy can be positive and lead to better things, but it can also be bloody stressful!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shit to hear juan.

Every single person in my building has been through consultation and reapplication for teir own job…. Except for me and the 5 other folk in my product line…..

Apparently we are part of the masterplan.

Me, im waiting for the knife in the back.

juanking

Aye. Well I’ve done everything I can to try and ensure I am not one of the 600 but out of my hands now. This didn’t come as any huge surprise and the NS has been spiralling out of control cost wise for years. I moved into the central ‘conehead’ technology group 4 years ago so am not quite as exposed as the guys working NS assets.

benz
    Free Member

Juan,

Believe I was very fortunate to get a job at another operator. It has been the re-birth of me TBH. New folks, different role and plenty to keep one out of mischief.

That said, we’ve been avoiding extravagance and being mindful of the war chest.

Good luck to all in whatever industry they work if they are facing or have been made redundant.

juanking

Well dodged the bullet today. Unfortunately 600 poor other folk were not so fortunate. Grim.

luke
    Free Member

I was out of work for 27 months bar a bit of self employed work and also a bit of zero hour contract work every few months when it suited them, I was last in the office in May last year, I heard rumour I’d been replaced by volunteers that was confirmed when I didn’t even get an invite to the Christmas party.

Anyway just 6 weeks ago I had my first interview in months and have been back in employment for a month now, a large salary hit from what I used to earn, but I look forward to work each day in a way I’ve never before.
    The wife says I’m getting paid for doing one of my hobbies, which is true.

Best of luck to anyone out of work or facing the threat of it.

rickmeister

Oof. 600 folk, that’s tough, what line of business …

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lucky for you juan, good news. Ive lost alot of colleagues and friends from the office recently through similar its shit.

On one hand you thankful your still in a job but pissed off that the companies treating your friends as they do…. But they have their reasons j guess, business is business. Im just glad that im still coal face and dont have to break the news to folks. I think ive seen the whole spectrum of reaction from coming out skipping and fist pumping to tears and screaming. Some managers just dont know how…. All the tact of a brick through a glass table

juanking

Rick, O&G, tough tough times at the moment.

TBF ratty the company has done everything possible to make the process as clear as possible and everyone is treated respectfully. I’d never want to be a middle manager as you would end up stuck in the middle between the upper echelons and those doing actual work and having to notify staff of their fate. Quite a few empty desks around as those less fortunate take time for it to absorb in.

DaRC_L

I am waiting to hear on Thursday – except I am hoping for redundancy.
    So I hope I get it and some people who still want to work here don’t get made redundant.
    But over the past 10 years we’re only 1/10th of the people who worked here when outsourced.

bigjim

Is that the 600 they announced in January or another 600?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘redundancytrackworld…’ is closed to new replies.