Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Reducing travel on Fox F32
  • solarider
    Free Member

I need some 100mm travel forks for the hardtail and have my eye on these which seem a pretty decent price:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/sg/en/fox-suspension-32-float-ctd-kashima-forks-15mm-2014/rp-prod125494

They are 120mm. Is it possible to reduce them further to 100mm? I am a competent mechanic but fiddling with fork internals scares me and I really don’t know where to start.

johnnyc

Easy enough to reduce the available travel from 120 to 100 by using a spacer (basically a 20 mm plastic spacer that stops the fork moving too far), but it won’t be possible to change the fork a-c length on those forks, so you will have a slightly slacker head angle.

spacers

Float 36 utube clip

solarider
    Free Member

Thanks. As well as the travel, I need to reduce the a/c height so I guess these won’t work.

Shame.

solarider
    Free Member

Actually I have been reading up and it would appear that the a/c measurement would be lowered by reducing the travel.

As ever with the internet, there is conflicting information out there!

Maybe all is not lost?

johnnyc

Yeah, think you could be right- the float forks i have have the reduced travel (120 to 100) but same a-c, looks like it is possible to do either depending on the internals/model. The ones i have are getting on a bit now.

Have a bump, hopefully someone who knows more about it than me will reply!

jkomo

Ring mojo when they’re back, they will give you the definitive answer, and tell you what you need.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I’m 99.9% sure it will drop the uppers into the travel and reduce the a-c length.

Being that any f series fork will should 80-120mm, OEM’s wouldn’t spec an 80mm travel fork with 120mm of stanction exposed.

Using the spacers to reduce travel on a Fox40 absolutely lowers the forks height.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Well the stanchion showing is less when I’ve reduced the travel on my forks so the axle crown length will be shorter for sure. The hardest part for me is getting the round circlip out/in from the bottom of the stanchion.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Reducing travel on Fox F32’ is closed to new replies.